Updates to MirrorValue, DependencyValue, and BoardRelationValue column values

We have removed support for the text field on MirrorValue, DependencyValue, and BoardRelationValue column values. We have replaced it with the new display_value field to return text values for the connect boards, dependency, and mirror columns.

As part of the 2023-10 release, we created the text field on column_values to return the text values for each column. These calls have a high cost for the mirror, dependency, and connect board columns.

Therefore, we stopped supporting the text field and created the display_value field on these three column values only. These updates will help reduce the load by only returning the data when users actually need it.

The following example would return the mirror column display values (i.e., text values) on items 1234567890 and 9876543210.

query {  
  items (ids:[1234567890, 9876543210]) {  
    column_values {  
      ... on MirrorValue {  
        display_value  
      }  
    }  
  }  
}

Thanks for the information. This was extremely helpful! Just had to add the bold section.
query {boards (ids:BoardID){items_page (limit: 200) {cursor items {name id column_values {id text … on MirrorValue {display_value}}}}}}

@Meneghini that’s great to hear!

Please reach out with any questions :smiley:

Best,
Rachel

Hi @rachelatmonday

The problem I am having currently, is that this returns 2 different columns now. I get Text from the regular fields from the board, or I get a column of display_value, but only for those columns that were a BoardRelationValue.

Is there a way to use an IF or CASE type of statement where if it does return a display_value, it uses that value in the “text” field, otherwise just return the text field as expected?

This is currently an issue with how we were using PowerQuery/PowerBI to bring in results and then expand all of the columns from what was returned. But if I try to have it include display_value, it causes errors because most of the records don’t return that field since they were a BoardRelationValue.

Hello there @JustAnotherMonday,

There is no way to add a condition (IF) to a query.

I do not have experience with PowerQuery but, I believe you could probably create one query for that specific column type that returns the display_value and a different one for other columns (returning “text”) in case PowerQuery gibes you an issue with the results you get when retrieving all column values at once.

Cheers,
Matias