[RELEASED] Way to query a "Subitems" type column?

Hi there,

I’m wondering if there is a way for me to use the API to query all of the subitems on a particular board that returns the parent pulse of the subitem.

I noticed that the Subitems column on my board (board A), has its own board ID, so I queried for all of the items on that “board” (board B), but I can’t see a way to ascertain which parent pulse on board A each subitem on board B belongs to. Is this something that I can do?

Please let me know if I can clarify anything. Thank you!

Hey @chdastolfoas at this time API calls are not supported with subitems but we are working on this for coming iterations.

You would then be able to use the ID to query :slight_smile: Let me know if you have any additional questions in the meantime.

Cheers

Ah ok, that’s too bad. On a semi-related note, so happy you guys released a changelog for the API! Will be watching that for updates on this! Thanks again.

If subitems are not supported why does the API returns them as boards ?
I really wish it just wouldn’t or it would give us a way to filter them from “real” boards. For now my script is useless not being apple to discriminate…

Could you give an ETA about when this would be resolved ?

thanks
Sam

I may have found a solution to this. All Subitems of a board are in another board named "Subitems of [board name]. You can find the board id by listing all boards.

The way they are linked to their parent items is via groups in the subitem board. The group names are “subitems_of_[parent item id]”.

So in your case you would search for all items in that board and query them about their group to get the parent item id.

Thanks for your input :slight_smile: but this would be just a hack, we can’t use it in production.
We need a way to discriminate sub-items from boards, this is sine qua non.

Hi Brett,

you didn’t reply to my question : could you give me an update please ?

Is there a way to filter out subitems when querying boards ? Right now the API returns subitems as boards and that does bot make sense, moreover we cannot discriminate if it is a board or a subitem. This is blocking us from syncing with an external service…

Thanks

Hey @Contreforme – Dipro here!

If I’m understanding correctly, you’re looking for a subitems field in our GraphQL schema so you can query subitems in a more intuitive way. Is that correct?

Our team is working on ways to add more subitem support to our API, so I’ll pass this along as feedback for that task.

Sorry if i was not clear enough : i need to select boards WITHOUT subitems popping in the result.
Right now if i do

query {
    boards (board_kind:share) {
        id,
        name
    }
} 

I end up with boards AND subitems : when i need only the shared boards
I hope it is better :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help

1 Like

Ah I see! Thanks for clarifying. I’ll pass this along as feedback.

Hi,

Two ways to do this.
I am sure it will change some as Monday matures subitems.

query {
complexity {
before
query
after
}
boards (ids: SubitemBoardID) {
groups {
id
, items {
id
}
}
}
}
Returns values:
{
“id”: “subitems_of_(parent pulse id)”,
“items”: [
{
“id”: “(subitem pulse id)”
},

query {
complexity {
before
query
after
}
boards (ids: ParentBoardID, limit: 50) {
items {
id
, column_values {
id
, value
}
}
}}

Returns: “boards”: [
{
“items”: [
{
“id”: “ParentPulseID”,
“column_values”: [
{
“id”: “subitems”,
“value”: “{"linkedPulseIds":[{"linkedPulseId":ChildPulseID},{"linkedPulseId":ChildPulseID},{"linkedPulseId":ChildPulseID},{"linkedPulseId":ChildPulseID}]}”
}

Hello dipro,

i come back on that subject to know if anything new is planned about filtering out subitems boards in the API ?
We are still struggling with this issue: Without the ability to bypass subitems in a general boards query we cannot sync our work with other Saas and have to manually do it…

Thanks for your feedback!

Hey @Contreforme – sorry for the late reply. Can you tell me more about what you mean?

All the subitems boards are named “Subitems of [parent board]” so you should be able to filter these out in your app.

I mean to filter subitems during the query as item’s name are not consistent : in english they are named “subitems of[…]” but in french they are named “Sous-éléments de[…]” if any of my user is using another language interface i’ll end up with a bug.

In short i wish i could use a query like this:

query {
boards (board_kind:share,BOARD_TYPE:NOSUBITEMS) {
    id,
    name
}

}

Hey @Contreforme - Daniel chiming in here.

I can totally see how a query like the one you mentioned would be useful in a case like this. I’ve gone ahead and passed the feedback over to our developers to look into implementing this in the future, but at this time I wouldn’t quite be able to provide an ETA.

Please let me know if there’s anything else we can assist with.

1 Like

Hi @dsilva, thanks for your feedback.
I would happily take any suggestion for a workaround :wink:

For now we are doing it manually but it is a real pain with existing and long boards.
Is there a feed or diff list with dev roadmap we can subscribe to ?

Anyway thanks for this great app : it is by far one of the most helpful tool for our teams workflow.

1 Like

Hey @Contreforme - so glad you’re enjoying the app! We love hearing that :slight_smile: I’m not sure we have something like that available right now, but we’ll be posting new features here on the forums.

As for workarounds…that’s a tough one with this particular problem. Are you doing any kind of processing on your end with the results coming back from the query? One (hacky) workaround I thought of would be to use the board description to contain some value that would indicate that the board is not a subitem board (since the description on subitem boards is always null):

I don’t think there is a way to filter for the description on the GraphQL level itself, but perhaps you can parse the data on your end to only include results with this value? Would something like that work?

-Daniel

I will keep this on hold for now as it is too prone to errors without a real way to separate boards from subitems. Even as a post process it would be too much work to go on every sub-items to tag them as such.
Anyway, thanks for the update. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My apologies for bumping an old thread.

Any updates on this feature?

Given a list of subitems I want to query the parent item’s name.

@fatih

I’m afraid we do not have any good news to share on this just yet, but I definitely understand the need for this.

As soon as we have an update to share in this sense, we’ll be sure to keep you posted, though :slight_smile:

-Alex

1 Like