When {status} **[[for a group of items of user's choosing]]** changes to {Something}, move item to {group of items}

I work with different groups within finance and manage all their tasks.
I want to create an automation where when a status changes to completed in a specific group, then that item will be moved to a different group (that already exists) specific to the group I changed the status in.

I can use AP and CF as two groups for the example.
I have a group of items called AP. When a status for an item in the AP group changes to “completed” or “done” then it will automatically be moved to the AP Completed group of items. The same would happen for an item in the CF group. When a status for an item in the CF group changes to “completed” or “done” then it will automatically be moved to the CF Completed group of items.

Currently, monday.com does not have this feature. Both CF and AP completed items can only go to the same group of items. I would like to have separate group of items for existing items to be moved to.

The recipe may look as follows:

When {status} [[for a group of items of user’s choosing]] changes to {Something}, move item to {group of items}.

[[for a group of items of user’s choosing]] – this is what I would like to add

Selecting the group is currently only available for use after I select what a board’s column changes to. I want to be able to select the group’s column change.

Does anyone want to/know how to do this?

Thank you so much!

Hi @salsaqueso and welcome to the community! You have certainly come to the right place for assistance on anything Monday!

An option to get around this would be to include a second Status column to identify the group. In this example you could have a “Type” status with two options AP and CF. You can then have two automations to monitor the combination of status columns as follows:

These were completed using the custom automation option. I do not know of a way to identify the group to move an item on a status change without looking to outside tooling (Zapier, Integromat, etc.).

Hopefully this is suitable for you!

Thanks!
Mark

The app Status Controlled Group (see https://monday.com/marketplace/80) has a recipe that shows:

It moves only when status is changed in specific group AND set the status. Optionally you can use another recipe in this app that also changes the assigned people.

Hi @mark.anley,
Thank you so much! This really helped. I wish I thought of this… it is actually pretty simple!

Best,
Emily

Hi @basdebruin,

Thank you so much for the advice! I definitely will look in to this.

It would be great to be able to remove the extra status column and just base the automations off the group. However, I achieved what I needed. Thank you!

Best,
Emily

hi @salsaqueso

I believe we can remove that last status value. The purpose of it is that you can have a status like “Done” which actually means Done in that specific group. If the automation then moves the item to the next stage (Group) you want that status value to be reset to something like “Started”, or when it is a “review stage (Group)” maybe “In review”. In this example, when review is done the reviewer stets the status to Done and the automation moves it to the next group.

Let me know if you want to discuss changes, we can always have a look at these.

Best,
Bas