Working with API v2 and VBA

Hello, first time here! I’m starting to figure out how to update and get information from Monday boards on a Excel sheet using VBA. Checking out the API documentation, my first attempt was to retrieve the name of a specific board, but the name won’t appear on the response text from the html.

This is what I have so far:

Public Pass As Variant

Sub monday()
 Dim monday As New MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP60
 Dim response As Variant
 Dim status As Variant
 Dim query As String

query = " { ""query"" : ""{boards(ids: xxxxx){views{name}}}""} "

With monday
        .Open "POST", myurl , False
        .SetRequestHeader "Content-Type", "application/json"
        .SetRequestHeader "Accept", "application/json"
        .SetRequestHeader "Authorization", mytoken
        .Send query
        response = .ResponseText
        status = .status & " | " & .StatusText

MsgBox response
        MsgBox status

End With
End Sub

For the response text I’m getting: {“data”:{“boards”:[{“views”:}]},“account_id”:xxxxxxx}
For the status and status text: 200 | OK

I thought the board name would show on the response text. Am I parsing something wrong?

Hello,
I am not familiar with VBA but I think that, the reason why you are not seeing the board name is because you didn’t specify it in the query. You queried for only the views name. You can try this

query = " { ""query"" : ""{boards(ids: xxxxx){name views{name}}}""} "
1 Like

Hi @kolaai ! It worked out, I see what I missed here. Guess I’ll study the documentation further.

Thanks a lot!

You are welcome. Glad to have helped.

Is it possible to to the other way around? To find the Id having the boards name?

I don’t think that is possible. Looking at the documentation, the arguments for Board doesn’t include ‘name’.

1 Like

Actually I’ve worked it around, by searching first for all boards Ids and respective names, then searching for the specific board name on the response string and from there finding the specific Id. Thanks again!

That’s amazing @vprado! If you get a chance, could you share the code that worked?

1 Like

Hi @dipro! Actually I’ve asked two questions on the same topic, guess this is not the right way. For my first question, @kolaai got the solution, all I had to do was to set my query as he suggested:

query = " { ""query"" : ""{boards(ids: xxxxx){name views{name}}}""} "

For my second question, the work around is on the following code, let me know if I should open another topic for this one. So, what I wanted to do was to find the board id having the board name. Since I couldn’t do this natively, I’ve searched for all boards ids and names using the query:

query = " { ""query"" : ""{boards(){name id}}""} 

Then, I used a couple of VBA functions to identify the board name within the html response text, and find the respective following id. I was able to do that noticing the pattern on the response text:
{“name”:“MyBoardName”,“id”:“xxxxxxxxxx”}

The working code is:

Public Pass As Variant

Sub monday()
 Dim monday As New MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP60
 Dim response As Variant
 Dim status As Variant
 Dim query As String
 Dim boardname as variant
 Dim id as String

query = " { ""query"" : ""{boards(){name id}}""} "

boardname = Chr(34) & "MyBoardName" & Chr(34) 

With monday
        .Open "POST", myurl , False
        .SetRequestHeader "Content-Type", "application/json"
        .SetRequestHeader "Accept", "application/json"
        .SetRequestHeader "Authorization", mytoken
        .Send query
        response = .ResponseText
        status = .status & " | " & .StatusText
    End With

id = Mid(response, InStr(response, boardname) + Len(boardname) + 7, InStr(InStr(response, boardname) + Len(boardname) + 7, response, Chr(34)) - (InStr(response, boardname) + Len(boardname) + 7))

End Sub

I’m now having some trouble parsing mutation, but I’ll deal with it in a new topic.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.