Wrap Text in Column

Is it possible to set a column (like the item name) to wrap the text? We have many columns and would like to shrink the first column to see more across the screen.

31 Likes

I agree with this request.

3 Likes

I must have this capability. It is driving me nuts!

4 Likes

Hey @mherendeen, @cfrat, @jiminy! While this isn’t possible at the moment, I would definitely recommend submitting wrapping text in columns as a feature request so our developers can take a look: Submit an Idea - monday Community Forum

@cfraticelli See my answer above!

Note that a feature request was submitted back in January:

1 Like

Yes, I’ve voted up that feature request. It only has 17 votes, though. I would think this feature would be useful to many users. I have several boards with lots of columns, and wrapping text would make them hugely more readable. Especially when a column has a long name, but the data is short, like a two digit number. How do we promote the feature request so that it gets more views / votes?

1 Like

Keep in mind that Monday has implemented per-user quotas on votes in the forums. I presume it’s to avoid abuse or spamming.

Many regulars (such as me) have exhausted their quota and are prevented from further voting on any new feature requests. We have to un-do earlier votes to free up more votes which I won’t be doing.

1 Like

@JohnW Thanks for your response! Yes, we do have per-user quotas on votes in the forums. It’s to avoid abuse, like you noted, and to really prioritize the most important featurs.

Would it be helpful to have more votes? How many would you ideally have? I’d love to learn more and pass the feedback on to my team to see if we can make any improvements here.

Yes. Without more votes, I cannot vote unless I take the time to un-vote previous requests to free up more votes. I participate in many software forums. I have never encountered any other system that has required me to do that.

If the onus is placed on users to manage their votes to avoid abuse, it seems like a failure of the forum software if it is unable to manage that by design.

If you want to encourage forum participation then it seems logical that you do not place any limits on how many feature suggestions people can vote on.

The software already prevents people voting more than once on each suggestion. Plus, I presume you already have robust spam filters to block bots from registering and voting. What other forms of abuse is the vote quota system trying to prevent?

1 Like

Hi @JohnW, thanks for this feedback! It’s super useful and I’m discussing with @Julia-monday.comt o see if we can make any changes to the vote limits. We’ll be back to you with updates soon!

1 Like

I don’t think many users are aware of this voting system for feature requests. Most of our users aren’t even aware of this forum. Can you guys send out something to all users asking them to vote on requested enhancements? I bet you’ll see a totally different response for the wrap text item.

1 Like

@Kris agreed, this is not something the users of our system are aware of. I second the request to send out something to all users advising them of how voting works, where to find things they can vote on, and asking them to weigh in.

As an aside, I voted for wrap text because I have the same issue as others in this thread.

Hey @Kris and @JPlum, thanks so much for the responses and feedback! I’m going to pass this on to my team that it would be useful to to inform users of the Community forum and their ability to vote on feature requests.

@Johnw, I spoke with Julia and the reason we have a limit on voting is so as not to devalue each vote. When we close topics in this section where we have released a feature, it will then give the votes back to the users. Let me know how this sounds!

Thanks for the reply, @TRB-monday.com . Understand the intention but not really sure I get the logic of this policy. Most forums allow unlimited voting but one - and only one - vote per topic.

This policy just seems to discourage regular participation.

I have given up voting. I just like the posts I support now.