XERO Project and Monday.com intergration

My team and I use Monday.com regularly for our daily operation in addition to Xero for our accounting. However the issue is we also use Xero Project in order to generate our quotes as well as project tasks tracking so that we can plan our project in a profitable manner.

However the issue is there are no way to connect Xero Project with Monday.com as non of the third party solution (Zapier or Integromat) are capable off. This end up forcing our team to use Xero Project as a reference for our project then break in down in Monday.com to track only to have to use Xero Project again to track the time.

This leave a lot of space for error as employee are force to track their time double (one using the time tracking function on Monday.com and another on Xero project so we can track our cost).

It would me amazing if the time track can be sync across similar to Trello power up board. We like Monday.com work OS space but this does create a challenge for our admin work.

Hi Dangq

We have a similar problem whereby time tracked in Monday needs to be assigned to jobs in WorkflowMax (now basically Xero). We created an integration and utilised Azure functions to integrate between the two apis enabling creation of jobs, assigning time, etc. in the WFM(Xero) side of the world.

Can run through how we implemented if any use to you.

Hi alan.every

Thank for your insight. Unfortunately, currently we don’t have an in house developer team that capable of building custom APIs integration solution. However I would still love to know how you guys implemented your solution so our team can have a reference to what direction we can take. :smile:

Sorry @Dangq I’ve been away for a break.

Basically our solution involved using Azure serverless functions to act as an integration between the two APIs. This used a number of events to process data.

Use case 1. - job profitability

At regular intervals (cron):

• Azure durable serverless function pulls all non-archive boards from Monday.com using the Monday GraphQL API
  • Function pulls associated jobs from Xero/WorkflowMax rest based API
  • Some business logic occurs within the function to munge and manipulate data from both Monday and Xero/WorkflowMax
  • Task data for xero/workflowmax jobs updated via Xero API from munged data

Use case 2. - Linked board / job creation

To enable the link between the two products we needed the job on Xero/WFM to be associated with the Monday board. Achieved by:

• Monday SDK React widget enabling the Monday user to enter details, select clients etc… This posted json details to Azure serverless endpoint (API)
  • Azure functions (again) used Xero API to create jobs and tasks then create associated board in Monday via their GraphQL API

Challenges

• Machine to machine authorisation on Xero is a bit flaky and non-existent for WFM. They have improved recently by adding an extra paid service for some regions. A work around is possible (recommended by Xero) which we are currently using
  • The majority of Monday structure type items, folders etc. are not available to query mutate, but the GraphQL implementation was far more flexible than the Xero side

Hope this was of use. If you ever do go down a custom code type route and anyone you have wants to go through I can spin them through the code etc. to give them a feel of want I did. Just message me in the future.

alan.

Hi @alan.every no worries.

Thank for the insight alan. I really appreciate the fact that you come back to this discussion.

That is definitely a great option that we can consider. I do some research more about this topic and if we decide to go down into the custom code path I will keep you in the loop.

dang.