Automation triggered when subitem is created

I have a use case where I need to create an update to a subitem when the subitem is created.

I don’t need to create an update when a parent item is created.

I note that there are triggers in automations for when an item is created. But I can’t see any automation triggers for when a subitem is created.

While I do note that there is an automation to create an update to a subitem when a subitem status changes, this is clumsy for this use case.

I also note that there are Integration triggers for when a subitem is created.

How can I best create an update to a subitem when it is created?

1 Like

Hey Stephen! This isn’t quite possible at the moment unless you set this up manually.

I’d love to know what your use case is so I can suggest another way of putting the information you want in the subitems’ Updates Section into another column or another idea. What do you need the subitems’ Updates to have that you don’t want to have in the items’ Updates Section?

Let me know and we can continue working on this to find a good solution!

Hey Charlotte. Thanks for your reply.

It seems crazy that this trigger is available in the API for use with Integrations, but not within Automations. (I guess that it is an instance of having the Automations catch up with the API, instead of the other way around.)

The use case is to provide a consistent Checklist for users to review against each subitem.
Each subitem can be considered a task that is associated with the parent item. The checks to be reviewed for each task, are consistent across the tasks, but do not specifically need to be detailed at the parent level.

I can use a status change within the subitem to trigger an automation that creates the checklist (using html) as an update.

From a UI perspective, it would just be much cleaner to create the update when the subitem is created.

I understand that I could also create individual columns within the subitem for each of the points in the checklist. But in this instance it is too cumbersome and creates a poor UX due to the ‘wordiness’ of the checklist points.

Given your feedback, I’m thinking that I may just have to use an integration to achieve this. That’s not ideal either, but I guess that it may be necessary.

This is something that I actually need right now and is another feature that Monday doesn’t achieve.

3 Likes

anxiously looking for this too. our use case: inspecting how many tasks and subtasks were created yesterday. tasks works automatically but subtasks doesn’t unless you manually update the date.

this is the workaround we have to tell the entire team –
"There are 2 new columns in the Board i.e, “Created at” and “Completed at”. These columns will help us visualize how many tickets are getting created and closed everyday! Unfortunately, Monday does not have a trigger for when a SUBITEM is created so it would be really helpful if anyone who creates a new sub-item just selects today’s date in the “Created at” column when filing a new sub-item. It is merely 2 extra clicks. Thanks! "

1 Like

Hey guys,
You can use Autoboost for that -

1 Like

Wow, yes. How is this not a feature?

I simply want to assign someone automatically when a subitem is created.

Hey @ryanDAR

We developed an app that solves this exact pain point of assigning automatically when a subitem is created. There’s a few options -

Based on the parent item’s owner -

Assigning the creator of the subitem -

Setting a default value based on the name of them item -

You can find it in the monday.com marketplace in the platform or here - monday.com: Apps Marketplace

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I’m sure your app is great. It’s starting to drive me mad, however, that every time I ask a very basic question about Monday, the only answer is a paid app on top of the paid service itself.

How… WHY would they not provide automations on subtasks natively. It almost seems harder to do that than it would be to just copy the code from the main tasks.

1 Like

Hi @snicho @niddLer @annie-c @ryanDAR @Julietteb
This feature is now released to all monday account!
Let us know what you think!

1 Like

I see an update was made for this but I see a large issue that there is no way to make the update different for each subtask. How can this be possible?

Use case: I like to add an update to each task and subtask for my team to easily have links to SOPs and instructions. I set this up with the following automation and it applied all updates to the item not the sub items.

I then contacted support and tried to do this on an individual level but it would add each update to each subtask.

How can I create an automation that creates a subtask and ads an update to that specific subtask? The update is unique for the subtask created in the automation.

I’d be willing to create individual automations for each subtask but I’m surprised these features are not currently possible