Can you create a custom recipe without a trigger?

Hi everyone,

I’m working on a custom sync recipe similar to the one in the screeenshot. But I see this recipes and I’m not really sure what’s the trigger part and whats the action part, are this recipes just actions with implicit triggers?

Thanks!

Hello there @gigo6000,

This looks like an implicit trigger from the user’s point of view (not different in the sentence) indeed

@Matias.Monday thanks for the reply Matias, how can I create a recipe like that for my app? the recipe editor requires both a trigger and an action, it doesn’t let me create a recipe without a trigger.

Basically all I want to do is sync a list of options from an API to a dropdown column in a subitem.

Hello again @gigo6000,

The trigger is visually implicit but you need a trigger when creating a custom recipe.

You could create a custom trigger which could have a field in which the user can select the options, and then a custom action. When the recipe is added to a board, you will receive in an endpoint on your end, the selection from the user. Then if you never want to “call” that recipe (so that the action gets activated), as I believe is your intent not to do so, you can just never call it at all.

That is what you want to achieve. Correct?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
Matias

@Matias.Monday hello, yes, basically I want to populate the dropdown once either on the trigger or the action but I will probably listen for changes from the other API to update the options. I will try your suggestion thank you!

Happy to help @gigo6000 !

Let me know if you need anything!