Can't change column value(s)

The column values are updated successfully when I run the following mutations in Playground. But when called in code, these same mutations throw Graphql Validation errors. All board scope permissions are set.

works in playground :ballot_box_with_check:

graphql-1        graphql-2

doesn’t work in code :x:

const query1 = `mutation {
change_column_value (board_id: 726291451, item_id: 726291453, column_id: "status", value: "{\"index\": 1}") {id}}`

const query2 = `mutation { change_multiple_column_values (board_id: 726291451, item_id: 726291453, column_values: "{\"url\":\"urlVal0\",\"name1\":\"nameVal0\"}") {id}}`

// also no good
const val = {"index": 1};
const query = `mutation {
change_column_value (board_id: 726291451, item_id: 726291453, column_id: "status", value: ${JSON.stringify(val)}) {id}}`

:grey_question:

Hey @supernova ,

remove the curly braces after “mutation”.

Tell me if that helped

Greetings

const query = 

`mutation change_column($value: JSON!) {

change_column_value(board_id: 726291451, item_id: 726291453, column_id: "status", value: $value) {
          id
     }

}`;

const value = { "value": "{\"index\": 1}"};

And this should work also, if I’m not mistaken.

Hey @supernova!

Phew! You found a bug!!

I tried it myself and I got the same problem error.
If you want it working, you have to use variables, unfortunately. Here’s how I have it working:

const query = `mutation changeValues($board_id: Int!, $item_id: Int, $column_id: String!, $value: JSON!) {
        change_column_value (board_id: $board_id, item_id: $item_id , column_id: $column_id, value: $value) {
          id
        } 
      }`

monday.api(query, {variables: {"board_id": boardId, "item_id": itemId, "column_id": "status", "value": "{\"index\": 1}"}}).then((res) => console.log(res)).catch((e) => console.log(e))

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

You got it :hot_pepper: !! This works yay you’ve helped A LOT :+1: :+1: :100:

2 Likes

Hi @TMNXT-Dev , I tried both ways that you suggested, but they didn’t work for me. However, @pepperaddict’s solution of using variables worked! I just checked monday’s API doc & now I see that using variables is specified. Just something that I skipped over… ( nothing crucial /s )

2 Likes

Hey @supernova :wave:

I’m so glad that you’ve found a working solution in the community here!

@pepperaddict a plate of chillis to this very helpful man! Jokes aside, thanks so much for helping out here!

@TMNXT-Dev thanks for chiming in as well :slight_smile:

@supernova

You can definitely disregard this completely since you’ve got this to work already :slight_smile:

That said, I do see one more thing that sticks out to me in the queries you are sending:

“{"url":"urlVal0","name1":"nameVal0"}”

To my mind, that should be formatted as such instead:

{“url”: “http://monday.com”, “text”: “go to monday!”}

Do you think that could be part of what was causing the errors before?

-Alex

3 Likes

Hi @AlexSavchuk , I don’t think so cause for this test case “url” & “name1” are the column IDs & url col is type “text” so the value can be any string - doesn’t have to be url string

1 Like

Nice solution @pepperaddict !

Thank you!

2 Likes

@supernova

Thank you for getting back to me on this! Ah, I had assumed that the “URL” key was meant to update a Link column and not a text column. Thank you for clarifying further!

@TMNXT-Dev thanks for spreading the good vibes :slight_smile:

-Alex

1 Like

Actually, I didn’t realize monday supported Link columns. Thanks to your comment @AlexSavchuk I just discovered a bunch of other column types! Pleasantly surprised by all the options available :astonished:

1 Like