Custom trigger example?

I’m having a heck of a time understanding the custom trigger doc. Everything else in the integrations docs makes sense but not the custom trigger section. It probably doesn’t help that I haven’t implemented webhooks before, maybe that missing bit of context would help me fill in the rest.

I’m sure I’m not the only person with this problem. I can easily figure out how custom actions work because the integrations quickstart comes with custom action in the workflow blocks, but there’s no custom trigger given. Which I guess makes sense because a custom trigger requires an outside server.

Still… is there an example or more thorough tutorial I can consult? I’m sure I’m not the only person who has had or will have this problem.

Hi @Janssen,

Thanks for writing in!

Could you share more about what kind of trigger you’d like to set up? and what action should happen as a result?

That’s a good question!

Specifically I want a trigger that fires whenever an item in a particular group is changed. I would think to do this by using webhooks or polling from my server and that seems straightforward enough but I can’t conceive of how this would plug into integrations as such. As far as figuring out custom triggers I’m agnostic what it does, I just think that an example of one implemented would clue me in how they work.

As for the custom action, I’d just be sending the item (either the ID or actual values) to my server.

Look for the built in “any column changes” trigger instead, which already does this.

You cannot trigger custom triggers from monday.com events directly (anymore). You have to programmatically create webhooks with the API that tell your app to then trigger the custom trigger with the item, board, etc the webhook sent you.

You create the webhooks in response to events the custom trigger sends to the “subscribe” url with its configuration when its added to a board. When you change the recipe after creation, the trigger sends you an unsubscribe followed by subscribe and you’ll need to use those to remove old webhooks and create new ones appropriate to the changed configuration.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @codyfrisch!

@Janssen, let me know if this answers your question :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep, this is perfect. @codyfrisch is extremely helpful!

I’m happy to hear it!

Please feel free to write in again if you have any more questions.