Move group to another board

Hi All,

according to this guide we can move a group to another board.
I want to know how can I do this with the API ?

I checked the API docs but couldn’t find the matching API function.

Thanks.

@handev

Moved your topic to a more appropriate section better visibility. Also looping in @dipro & @Helen who should be able to answer.

2 Likes

Hey there!

Moving groups from one board to another is currently not supported by our API. You can see all the operations you can do on groups here: Groups queries

What are you trying to do?

As a workaround: archive the group and create it (with the included items) on the new board. The downside of this approach is that you’ll lose the activity log (ie, history of changes) and the IDs of the new items will be different.

(Thanks @andrewalmand for moving the topic!)

1 Like

thanks for your quick response.

this is what I’m trying to do.

I create a new board (board A)
later day based on some logic I create a new group (group A) in board A.
when creating group A I want to copy all items/subitems from group Y of board X.

Hi @handev!

That makes a lot of sense. I’m wondering if instead of copying an entire group in one go (which currently is not supported with our native automations), you can utilize this automation that we offer:

This way, you can trigger item creation (with their relevant subitems) in group A on board A when you change the status on the relevant items in group Y on board X. This option will require a little more manual work (i.e. changing the status labels for the relevant items in group Y), however you can utilize our native automation recipe instead of building one from scratch.

Could something like this work instead?

thanks for your idea.

actually I’m not changing anything in group Y on board X. ( it’s like a template).
from the front end I am changing status of column C in board B.
not sure I can add a recipe to something like that.
this scenario involves (3 boards, 2 groups, 1 column).

it’s good if we had GraphQL function to a duplicate group into a another board.

I’m planning to create each item using API call in new group. I know it’s not the best solution.

Thanks

Hi @handev,

Sure! I can understand that.

As such, I would be more than happy to forward your feedback to our Product team so that they may take this into consideration for future iterations of our product.

Let us know how the workaround you identified goes! Happy to continue digging into this with you.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.