PM Tools: Time Tracking/Budgeting

Hi @eskufca

To answer your “million-dollar question” I think you should look at the Master-Detail app video I posted here Master-Detail app available on August 29 - #6 by basdebruin

I (and as I believe many others) are struggling with aggregating columns (like time tracker) in X amount of Projects into a “Project overview board”. Dashboards are really good looking but there are some limitations (max nr of boards being one of them). The overview widget in Dashboards do not provide time tracker information, nor other number columns used for costs, estimated time etc.

Subitems can also play an important role, but when each project is a (large) set of subitems it can become a little messy. Furthermore there might be situations that the project manager for one or more specific projects does not need to know some information.

With Master-Detail each item in the Master board represents a (Detail) project. You can build columns for project properties (like who is the PM) and then you can build columns that (with the help of recipes) aggregates number, statuses, timelines and time trackers. These aggregated number will be kept in sync by webhooks in the Detail boards (that are added by switching on the Detail project in the Master board).

I am considering to create the (Detail) project boards automatically when you add a row to the Master Project Overview and I am very interesting to learn your thought on that. You can - off course - create a template for these (Detail) project boards, but it is kind of hard to decide where to store these board when created automatically (which workspace etc).

Let me know what you think of this.

2 Likes