Copy Boards and Folders

Our engineering team is new to Monday.com. I have the following suggestions:

1. Copy a folder and all of its boards and contents. E.g. I have a ‘Template Folder’ with standardised boards, pulses & columns. I want to start a new job, but there is no way to copy the template folder and its contents when you right click. instead, I had to duplicate each board, then ‘move board to folder’ ‘job1’. Then I had to remove the ‘Duplicate of’ from each board name, which was time consuming

2. Same goes for Groups. I had to ‘Duplicate group’, then ‘move group to board’. Because I have 2 job folders, with the same board name, I was not sure which board to move it too:

3. It would be useful to shift-select many boards at once, and perform cut, copy, paste to other folders or the root. The copy command is the same as ‘duplicate, move’ but one less step.

4. When importing a list from excel from my list of tasks, I was unable to select groupings for each task. For example, say I have 100 tasks, divided into 10 items per 10 groups. When you import, all 100 items appear sequentially. It was time consuming to then manually create each group in Monday.com, then multiple-select and ‘move to group’.

thanks

2 Likes

+1 on this one feature. hope it will be avaliable soon.

1 Like

Yea this was a pain point for us too when we started some of our bigger boards. I ended up making an additional column with the Group Title I wanted and set it up as a Status Column during import. It was easier to do a sort and multi-select and move to a new group. Not perfect but a decent work aroudn if you haven’t found it yet for the interim.

+1.

For each new project, I need 3 boards. So I created a folder with those 3 boards in it. The 3 boards have linked / mirrored items in them. I want to be able to duplicate the folder and keep the boards linked to each other.

Tom

5 Likes

+1 for sure!

This would be amazingly helpful! We also have template folders with several templated boards that need to be recreated many times. This would be a huge time saver and help reduce user error/oversight.

1 Like

This would definitely be helpful for us as well. We have multiple template boards for client projects and the ability to copy the folder as opposed to individual boards would save a lot of time and effort. I’m surprised this isn’t a common need and wonder if others have found a workaround.

2 Likes

Hello @LGal - This can be done with a little monday․com developer workaround called a Workspace Template app. Using this approach, you can copy any number of linked template boards and dashboards with one click. I’d be happy to give you a personal tour of how it works. You can book a time with us here: Book a call with Polished Geek: Do more with monday․com

Are there any news about this topic?
My team/ project managers really need this feature provided. The boards and dashboards for every new project are of the same structure and there is a folder with templates of these. With the current (limited) possibilities they have to do all the steps mentioned above for the folder, and each board and dashboard in it: create + rename folder, copy/duplicate + rename + move each board and dashboard.
A reaction by the Monday team would be really appreciated. @monday-team Thank you so much.

1 Like

+1

We would love to see the ability to duplicate folders as well. We are just getting set up on Monday, but for each project folder we have 3 boards that are going to be linked together, so it would be amazing to be able to copy those over to a new project without breaking the links. Thank you!

2 Likes

+1

Spending hours on duplicating and moving boards…

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more with this post. This is one of those nuances that could strongly improve Monday. When one spends hours recreating the same board or folder with multiple boards, it really takes away from our productivity.

Found the way to accomplish this. I have about 15 folders with 30 or so boards that make up my ‘Client Folder’… I stumbled across the Cross Account Copier (Admin Section). It allows you to copy folders from one account to another, and sets up new ID numbers for the folders, boards, etc. The boards have to be of the Main Type, and some links need to be fixed - errors show exactly which links got broke. Of the 15 folders, and 30 boards, there were only 4 links that needed updating.

To make it work, just copy the folder to the SAME account you are already using… and Presto!

…Keep in mind you cannot choose the destination - the copy goes in your top level workspace. From there, just move the folder to the right workspace and you’re good to go…

Any update on this one? It’s a major pain point of our organisation too.

1 Like

Hi, Thank you for this workaround however, I’ve found that it won’t allow me to do it as it says it’s “only available to collaborators”. Has there been further developments that will allow me to recreate a folder of boards yet do you know?

we have the need to duplicate multiple boards or a folder with set boards within them in one go rather than duplicate 1 board at a time, this would save people so much time.