Cross-board dependencies

Hello,

Could we enable cross-board dependencies? I am working on a relatively complex set of tasks and using different boards to avoid over-cluttered boards, but this prevents me from flowing dependencies back to a ‘summary board’.

Could this be a feature that gets added? Alternatively, is there a workaround that is simple (i.e. not requiring a ton of mirrored/linked columns)?

Thank you,
Best,
Nic

Hi @n.renard, Nic

I am currently working on an app with a feature that might help here. Let me know your exact needs and there is a chance I can incorporate this in the app. Currently my app does:

So, there is a relation between a main and a sub board. The sub board need to have something like [xyz] in its title and in the main board there should be a column where an item holds “xyz”. With this I can build a relation between an item in the main board and a group in a sub board.

The first one will report the % of status in the group (sub board) to the item (main board) but you can also think of average number.

1 Like

Hi @n.renard,

It sounds like you could achieve this by using a dashboard.

What information are you trying to display on your ‘summary’ board?

Hi @basdebruin,

Thanks for reaching out. What we’re looking for is the ability to create dependencies across different boards. We are developing a prototype of a new technology and I have one board where I capture all my manufacturing steps for various units, and another where I capture the test schedule for these different units.

I would like to be able to show that until I have completed all the manufacturing steps in the manufacturing board on unit X, I cannot start testing unit X - and then also highlight that testing can start once all the manufacturing steps are shown as complete.

Similarly, I would like to have a summary board where I can track at top level progress of each unit through manufacturing, testing, etc. That I might indeed be able to do it with dashboard, I need to explore that a little more.

Would your app enable this?

Thank you!
Best,
Nic

Hi @mitchell.hudson,

Thanks for your reply. A dashboard might indeed be able to do that, I need to play with those a little more.

What I’m not certain dashboards can do is provide enough flexibility to combine different groups or line items together. We are developing a prototype of a new technology and I have one board where I capture all my manufacturing steps for various units, and another where I capture the test schedule for these different units. I would like to have a summary board where I can show how well unit A is progressing through steps X, Y and Z of manufacturing, which could be three line items in the summary board under a group called ‘Unit A’ (with a rule showing if specific line item in manufacturing board is shown as complete, then show step X as complete in summary board, etc.) and steps Q, R and S of testing (using similar rule as before). Does that makes sense? I don’t believe this can be achieved through dashboards?

Thank you,
Best,
Nic

Hi @n.renard

My app (in development) is currently not working with dependencies and I really doubt if something like multi board dependencies can be achieved. To be able to comment on that I need some more details, maybe a screenshot of your boards can help.

For your second request (the summary) you should eb able to use a dashboard. The app I was referring to is build to overcome a limitation in dashboards (max nr of boards = 10) and my app reports a status from a group to an item in a summary board. As an example: in your detail board you have a group with 20 items and 15 items are set to done. My app will simply show “75% Done” in a column / item in the summary board. I am working on other columns (eg report an average number from a group) but no ideas for dependencies yet.

You can also consider
to link items from a detailed board back to a summary board.

Hi @basdebruin,

I will check out the dashboards and this automation in more detail. Thanks for the feedback!

Best,
Nic