Formula help! How do I take a Time IN and Out and result it in a Total Hours

Hello, need help with a formula. I have two columns, TimeIN and TimeOUT. Need a third column (formula), that returns the total time (8:00-5:00pm = 9hrs)

Hi Brooke,

What type of columns are TimeIN and TimeOUT?

Looking for a simpler way to write complex formulas? Check out the Advanced Formula Booster at https://mdboosters.com. It’s a convenient third-party app that simplifies formula writing. With it, you can spread your formulas across several lines, utilize variables, and access dozens of functions not found in the standard formula column.

Just Time columns

Try:

HOURS_DIFF({TimeOUT}, {TimeIN})

What if we could break free of the Formula column? and write formulas that update any type of columns? What if a formula could update multiple columns at once? This is possible with the Advanced Formula Booster app.

Use:

(TIMEVALUE("1/1/1 " & {TimeOUT})-TIMEVALUE("1/1/1 " & {TimeIN}))*24

It doesnt matter which type of columns you are using as long as it in an hour format (e.g. hh:mm)

Thank you for your assistance! I’ve got totals now.

These are under subitems. I created a mirror column at the parent level to SUM the Total Hours column (subitems), but it’s returning “0”. I have the correct subitem column chosen. I’m playing around, but if you know exactly how it should be, I’d love the education.

If the hour calculations are made at the subitem level, just click on the formula column and choose “Show summary on parent item”. It will create a column which you can adjust to sum, average etc…

Brooke,

In this case, change your formula at the sub-item level to the one provided by Einav:

(TIMEVALUE("1/1/1 " & {TimeOUT})-TIMEVALUE("1/1/1 " & {TimeIN}))*24

This will give you a (decimal) number. Then the summary will work.

Want to get rid of the formula column? and write formulas that support multiple lines, variables and can update various columns at once? Take a look at the Advanced Formula Booster at https://mdboosters.com*

I had gotten that far, but it wasn’t actually adding them up. Only showed Zero.

Gilles, I replaced the formula string that that worked perfectly! Thank you so much. Appreciate the community’s help!!