Parse error on Postman request

Hi there,

I’m using Postman to build out all of our API calls before coding them. I need to add a value to just one column while creating an item. However, I’m receiving a Parse error when sending the request. Is it escaped wrong? Thanks for anyone that can help!

Here’s what the request body looks like:
{ “query”:“mutation { create_item (board_id: 12345, group_id: "Test board", item_name: "item_name", column_values: "{\"text\": \"company_datetime\" }" { id }”}

hi @stephens
Welcome to the community. It looks like you missed the value key in the object. Assuming your column is “text” I think this one should work:

{ “query”:“mutation { create_item (board_id: 12345, group_id: “Test board”, item_name: “item_name”, column_values: “{\“text\”:{\"value\": \“company_datetime\” }}” { id }”}

Thank you @basdebruin . I’m obviously not an engineer, so it’s been just a bit trying to read enough forum posts that I can figure out what I’m doing. I’m getting a 500 error now, so I think I’ll give up. I was just trying to see if I could integrate one of our applications with Monday.com before moving over, but that application is based on using REST APIs, and I think trying to use GraphQL apis with this REST based platform has made me hit my technical limitations. Thanks again for the response!

hi @stephens don’t give up too soon :slight_smile:

I just tested this one and because it is a text column you don’t need to send an object, just a string will do. Be careful copy/pasting from this forum due to the automatig formatting (straight quotes / curly quotes). Therefore use the </> button in at the top of the editor to copy/paste code snippets.

mutation {create_item(board_id: 11111, item_name: "new item", column_values: "{\"text\":\"some text\"}") {
    id}
}

This is progress - thank you! I got this to work in GraphQL on postman, now I just need to get one of my engineers to help me convert this to with with our REST based platform.

Hi @stephens! Glad to hear that @basdebruin was able to help.

Let us know if you have any other questions for us at this time.

Best,
Helen

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.