Recommended way to retrieve all items and the item's column values from a board?

Hello,

I was wondering what the best query would be for retrieving all of the items from a board. I’d also like to see specific columns and the updates associated with the items.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi again @dturcanbbi :wave: :slight_smile:

In order to retrieve all Items on a board, and those Items’ column values, you can use the below call:

query {
  boards (ids: 000000000) {
    items {
      id
      name
      column_values {
        id
        title
        value
      }
    }
  }

In order to view Updates associated with a specific Item, you can utilize the call below:

query {
  items (ids: 000000000) {
    updates {
      creator {
        id
        name
      }
      created_at
      text_body
    }
  }
}

Admittedly these are fairly basic calls in the sense that they may not be grabbing the exact datas you’re after, although it should hopefully be enough to get you started :muscle:

You can also find out API v2 documentation here - https://monday.com/developers/v2

If you have any questions about how to get any more specific data, just let us know! :raised_hands:

-Scott

Thank you! I do have one board with over 7000 items and it appears that the query times out for that. What would be the recommended way of pulling a board with that many items?

Hey Dan! I would suggest getting the items group-by-group in this case. We’re also working on adding optional paging to the items() field, so look out for an update on that sometime in the future.

That worked, thank you! And I look forward to the paging feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @dturcanbbi – just wanted to let you know that we added paging to the items field on the board! Now you can grab items on your big boards little by little :slight_smile:

Here’s an example that grabs one item from a board:

Hope that helps :slight_smile: Enjoy!

Thanks dipro. Question though, how would I then be able to grab the next item? Typically when I thinking of paging, I would be grabbing all items in chunks of a set amount. This seems to just limit the query unless I’m mistaken on what’s happening here.