Return a column value with items_by_column_values?

Is it possible to return a column value from an item with the items_by_column_values query? For example, if there was a column named “record_timestamp” I would like to query it in some fashion such as this:

query ($board: Int!, $column: String!, $value: String!) {
    items_by_column_values (board_id: $board, column_id: $column, column_value: $value) {
        id
        record_timestamp
    }
}
1 Like

Hola @dturcanbbi :wave:

Yes! You can certainly return the column values with the items_by_column_values query :slight_smile:

Here’s an example of how you might do so:

query ($board: Int!, $column: String!, $value: String!) {
  items_by_column_values(board_id: $board, column_id: $column, column_value: $value) {
    id
    column_values {
      id
      value
    }
  }
}

Best,
Scott

Hi guys,

Are there any specific types of column this will not work with?

Thanks

Simon

Apart from formula and progress, all other columns should be retrievable.
https://monday.com/developers/v2#queries-column-values

Hey @slangham, not every column is supported by the items_by_column_values operation.

Specifically, columns that can contain multiple values (such as tags, dropdown, people) cannot be queried, and nor can columns that don’t have support via our API (formula, progress, etc).

Other than that, you should be good to go! Your search term should correspond to the text version of the column value.

For example, the raw column value of a status is something like this:
{"label" : "Done"}

But the text version is this:
"Done"

If you put the JSON string into the search term it won’t work, but if you just search “Done” it will.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies @rob & @dipro Do you have an idea as to when the other column types are likely to be supported?

Is there an API roadmap?

Trying to build workable integrations without these things makes life pretty difficult to be honest, and we really want to start building some meaningful apps for our customers.

Dropdowns and People would be the biggest ones for us I think as status type fields are always likely to be used for triggers and updates etc.

Cheers

Simon

1 Like

No public facing API roadmap just yet, but @Ben @VladMonday and I are looking into it.

With any roadmap, we want to strike the balance of informative and flexible, so we will release it when we’re confident it reflects our priorities and we can commit to what’s on it :fountain_pen:

Can we please have the API docs updated to mention the exclusions of these column types?

2 Likes

Hiya @BscotchShi :wave:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will see what I can do about this from my end - I do agree the docs could be a bit cleaner and more importantly, clearer.

-Alex

1 Like