Setting status from formula?

Hi all!

We are a small non-profit, just starting our journey with Monday.com, so forgive me if this is a fairly elementary thing, but I just can’t figure it out!

We are looking to track progress through our strategic plan. We have various KPIs and OKRs which we want to keep track of. One of the KPIs is to process 2,000 applications per year. I’d like to be able to show whether this is ‘on track’ based on monthly updates - we need to process 166 applications each month to be on track. Ideally we would be able to automatically update the status each month - 250 applications at the end of January would be ‘on track’, 300 applications at the end of February would be ‘behind schedule’.

Does this make sense? Is there a way to achieve this?

So far I have a column called ‘Current’ containing the actual cumulative figure, and a column called ‘Annual Target’ set to 2,000. By a formula I set ‘Cumulative monthly target’ to {Annual Target}/12*MONTH(TODAY()), and then another formula gives me ‘Progress to target this month’ as {Current}/{Cumulative monthly target}. How can I now get the status to update based on whether the formula gives above or below 100%? Or, indeed, am I barking up the wrong tree and should be looking at another way to tackle this?

All input very welcome!

Hi @mikerandall

Welcome to the community. Your use case certainly makes sense. Unfortunately the monday formula column is client side only. Actually it is you browser that does the calculation. Nowhere in the backend (API. Monday itself, automation) the value you see in the formula column can be used.

There is an app called General Castor that does calculations on the backend and that is probably the way to go.

Ah, that’s very interesting! That explains why I couldn’t find what I was looking for. Thanks @basdebruin

My next question, then, I guess is how should this be done? Are there any examples of organisations that have found excellent ways to track whether a particular number is on track?

Examples of what we’re tracking include:
2,000 applications per year (where more than 2,000 is good)
Error rate of below 3% (where less than 3 is good)
Average turnaround time of less than 2 days (where less than 2 is good)

When this is set up, I want team members to be able to enter a figure once a month, and for the directors be able to see at a glance whether we are on track or not. Again, thank you for any advice!

Hi @mikerandall - one way I have gotten around this in the past is to actually use the formula column to output the required data then use conditional coloring to set the background based on the formula response. This of course does not help if you want to run automations off the status column. If that is the case then using Bas’s suggestion of General Caster is likely the best approach.

Thanks,
Mark

1 Like

Hey @mikerandall :wave:

As mentioned, The Formula Column is not currently supported in our internal automations, so you would not be able to automatically change a status based on a formula’s output.

@mark.anley did have a great suggestion for using Conditional Coloring to help highlight when certain metrics are met!

Otherwise, we do indeed have the General Caster app which might help you achieve what you’re trying to do with monday.com.

Do note that General Caster was not developed by the monday.com team. As such, we don’t have any control over its functionality – and do not provide support for setting it up. Our team has reviewed it against our security and privacy guidelines, but we cannot fully certify it.

If you do want to try it out, I’d recommend checking out the app details in the marketplace here: The monday apps marketplace. You can review the app’s documentation (and applicable privacy policies) and install it if you choose.

To learn more about security in the monday apps marketplace, check out this article: Understanding apps marketplace security

You can also contact @rob from the General Caster team for any questions you have about the app!

I hope this helps! Remember to mark as solved if this answers your question :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jenna​

1 Like

Hi @mikerandall :wave:

Welcome to the Community!

It look like one of the posts here might have answered your question, is that correct?

If so, please don’t forget to mark it as the solution so other users can easily find it, and to close this thread :slightly_smiling_face:
If not, feel free to ask any additional questions you have!

Best,
Dani

Hi again @mikerandall

I hope the answers in this thread are useful!
As we haven’t had any updates here, I’m going to go ahead and mark this thread as solved.
This means that the thread will close in 7 days time :slightly_smiling_face:

If you have any additional questions or you feel your original query wasn’t resolved, please feel free to let us know and we’ll be happy to continue to assist!

Best,

Dani

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.