Why cant I get decimal numbers in a formula field?

I’m trying to create a formula column called “Duration” that minuses a column called “Start Time” from the “End Time” column. Unfortunately, the result is either a full number or a blank if it’s less than 1. Is this a normal feature or a glitch?

(I’ve tried all the round functions)

Are start time and end time numbers or dates?

So far i know, monday doesnt operate with time data in formula columns.

Hey! Can you send us a screenshot of your board and of the formula you’re using? I’d love to see how you have this set up to see how we can help!

The Duration Column (HHMM) is showing 30 minutes in some cases, which should mean the duration formula should show 0.5,

Sum({End Time}-{Start Time})

You should use: HOURS_DIFF({End Time},{Start Time})

i’ve used that for the Duration (HH:MM) Column, however that column, as the results are time, can’t be summed at the bottom

1 Like

Was this ever solved? I’d like to know the same thing. I can use HOURS_DIFF to produce a duration in HH:MM (eg 00:30 or 00:10). But I’d like to convert those numbers to decimal (ie 0.5 or 0.166).

1 Like

I was curious so I took a stab at it. This is wacky but technically works.

If you have 2 time columns with the differences in a new formula column named “Duration”, something like this COULD work:

SUM(ROUNDDOWN(SUBSTITUTE({Duration},":","."),0),DIVIDE(SUBSTITUTE({Duration},":",".")-ROUNDDOWN(SUBSTITUTE({Duration},":","."),0),0.6))

Say your difference is 01:30 (i.e. 1.5 hours), it takes that text and changes 01:30 to 1.3 (SUBSTITUE), then does 1.3 - 1 (ROUNDDOWN) which gives you the 0.3. Now that you have 0.3 you do 0.6 divided 0.3 (DIVIDE) to get the percentage, 0.5, then you “sum” back the 1.0 (SUBSTITUTE again) to the 0.5 giving you 1.5.

Essentially, Monday seems to be ok with working with numbers extracted from text, so once you know that, you can probably come up with other ways (and possible shorter formulas) to get what you need.

4 Likes

@HannahObz in case you’re still looking for something.

@ShalomRHS Brilliant, thank you so much!

1 Like

@ShalomRHS Thanks very much! I had the same issue and your formula was spot on.

Hi all,

Just found out a really simple way to do this.
You just take the total time and divide it by 3600… Don’t know why but it works!Screenshot at Sep 20 11-28-29