Access to user's selected language/locale

Right now Monday.com supports 11 languages on a per user basis. This language selection is saved in mondays backend as 2 character locale codes, en, es, fr, de, pt, ru, ja, nl, it, ko, sv.

These locale codes are not available anywhere in the API currently. It would be nice if these could be accessed under queries such as

query{
    me {
        locale
    }
    users(ids: [1234567]) {
        locale
    }
}

I had planned on working around this limitation in my board views by auto detecting the locale from the browser, but I forgot that’s not possible in an iframe.

As a possible workaround I also thought about recreating the language selector as a setting for my board view. But it’s a pretty terrible user experience to begin with and doesn’t even really work since those setting are not saved on a per user basis.

So it’s not really possible to support multi language in apps right now.

Hey @Spunkie ,

there actually is:

query{
    me {
    users {
} 

The user himself has to enter his location in his/her profile and you can get that information via API as seen above.

Hope that was, what you are looking for.
Tell me if that helped.

Greetings

Hey,

I would rather use the language setting already set by the user for the monday.com account, as we do not depend on the user having set it on its profile (many users don’t bother with that).

@TMNXT-Dev No, a location or country code is not useful at a all for language detection.

Beyond some loose assumptions a person’s current location or country can’t reliably tell you what language they speak. And it’s horrible UX to potentially thrust an incorrect language onto a user with no way to change it.

1 Like

Hey @Spunkie :wave:

I totally agree with your idea here and I do think it would help builders and development teams to build a more comprehensive app solution in the future, based on the user’s information. I’ll add this to our development task list and I’ll have a look with the team to see how this can be implemented. Thank you for helping us improve!

@TMNXT-Dev I also appreciate you trying to help and find a solution here :slight_smile:

-Alex

Hey @Spunkie ,

you are absolutly correct, but this is the only way at the moment. :frowning:

The good thing you’ve got the attention from @AlexSavchuk :slight_smile:

1 Like