Auto assign board owner based on people column

Hi!

Have a question regarding board automations.

I have set-up an automation for my team which automatically creates a new board based on a status change. However, everytime a new board is created by the automation, I get assigned as a board owner.

Is it possible to ensure that the person who triggers the automation gets assigned as a board owner instead? Or for example the person who is linked to the item via a ‘person’ column?

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,

Rosina

Hi @Rosina_Ankomah - At this time there isn’t a way to set who the owner of a board is via automation. The owner will always be set to the owner (creator) of the automation.

What we have done in the past is create a separate account to run the automations (like a bot account) and set the automation ownership to that account (if you have a spare license). Also, make sure that when you create the new board via automation to ideally have it set to a main and not private (if that works for you permissions wise). Then the admins on your account can set the proper ownership when they are notified.

Board ownership can be set in your monday settings > Admin > Users > Automation Ownership Tab:

There may be ways to set ownership via outside tooling such as Zapier and Integromat… Maybe not the answer you were hoping for but I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Mark

Hi @Rosina_Ankomah,

I second @mark.anley his comment. If you use a third party app you can ask the developer of that app to assign the person who initiated the status change. I have a small app that shows that it is possible to do so. The example app can be installed through monday.com: Where Teams Get Work Done and is called “Assign to me”. Me in this case is the user who clicked the button NOT the owner of the automation :slight_smile:

1 Like

thank you Bas!

May I be blunt and ask you an additional question?

I’m trying to set up a task list where every task has it’s own deadline based on one date (start of the project). So, for example, task one is due 5 days after the start date, task two is due 7 days after the start date etc.

is there a way to set this up per item in Monday?

Thanks!!

Hi Rosina,

All automations within monday work on the board level, therefore you can’t have different automations setup per item. As an alternative you can copy the start date to each item and add columns to indicate the number of days to set another date column. You then add the number you entered in the number column by using a formula of by using the General Castor app found in the marketplace.

This is something I struggle with as well. We have an estimating team that creates all the estimates and when a contract is marked executed it automatically creates a project board. Currently with the ownership of the board tied to whoever does the action also puts all auto generated tasks for that template in their work. At that point the “project” has shifted to another department and estimating will not touch it again. If we had the able to link it to a person column or the ability to assign an owner that would alleviate it. Having to create a phantom account that then needs to be managed almost negates the need for individual seat licenses. Surely there is another way to do this…

When status changes to this, create new board from template and assign ownership of new board to person…

I see other areas with the automations that if we had the ability to say create new board from template and do an action on that new board would be a tremendous help.

Hi there - there is now functionally available to set board ownership and subscribers when a board is generated via automation.

I believe this has been available for about a month now.
Mark

Do you know where I can find information on this? I know when you select which template you want to use you can choose a board owner there, however we have multiple different PM’s and the assignment will vary based off of who is determined to take over the project. I can’t find anywhere where I can assign it to a team or assign it to a “person” column

Hi @lindsaydreece - you can now create this via custom automation which is great as you can now trigger a board creation of many more triggers and conditions.

Within custom you will see an option “create board from template” when this is selected you will see the dialog to select the template but now you can also set Owners & Subscribers under the advanced section:

Thanks,
Mark

Thanks mark. Yes that is how we have it set up now but you have to designate the person in the automation. We have multiple project managers and the assignment from estimating to the PM will vary depending on the PM’s current workload. I have a PM assigned column in my board and am trying to find a way for the automation to make the board owner the PM listed in the PM assigned column but have had no luck

I have the same problem. I’m hoping someone will respond the an enhancement is being worked on or a work around.

2 Likes

I am also awaiting this functionality. It looks like a lot of folks would benefit from the ability to assign tasks or boards to someone based off an action rather than pre-selecting who the board or task belongs to.

This feature where board owner is assigned automatically would be very useful.

In our current process department leader approves of the project and board is created in dedicated workspace (according to a department).

Automation then creates board from a template. Would be really helpful if instead of individuals (or on top of that) we could choose people column where PM is assigned and they would become board owners too.

1 Like

Hello there, this feature could be very usefull with the new portfolio template.
I mean, the possibility to add different people/team (based on people column) on an automation when a projet (from portfolio) board is created also as an low-level project.

Thanks