Automate Subitem Status Update

This is for SUBITEMS:
What am I missing in automations? If I set up dependencies properly, I would think that I could automate updating a status. Eg. when someone marks a status as done, the next task–the ones dependent on the completed task–should update automatically to “Ready to Go”.

However, I can’t find the automation language to allow me to do that. I need something to say, “Change subitem status of “next item” to something”

What’s that selection for “next item”?

My team is considering switching to Asana but I really don’t want to have to build out a whole new set of boards!

Hi Liz
Welcome to our community! :smiley:

If I understand correctly, you are looking for the following automation:
In the automation centre under dependencies you will find the following dependency: "When a status changes to something, change the status of its dependency to something.

With this, you can ensure that when a subitem is marked as completed, all subitems that depend on it automatically change to “Ready to Go”.

I hope this solves your problem.
Otherwise just write again. :slight_smile:

Best regards
Matthias
Blinno GmbH

1 Like

Thanks much Matthias! How do I find the “change the subitem status of its dependency…”? Selecting “add a new subitem column” doesn’t offer anything except a status selection…

Thanks again,
Liz

Hey hey hey! I found it as a new automation recipe under “Dependency.”

Hooray!

1 Like

@Liz @matthias_blinno

I’m a new user and I have the same question Liz had. I think I’m doing this correctly but I’m obviously not. Based on the automation, once subitem 3 test A is set to Done, 3 test B should automatically set to Ready! But it doesn’t happen. I think I’m missing something obvious?

Subitems

Automation

1 Like

Hi John

Welcome to the monday.com Community. :smile:

I just built a board to test everything and for me everything works just fine.
This is how my Board looks:

This is the automation:

I would try to reset the dependencies.
Then reset the automation.
And then try it again.
Under “Automations Activity” you can the see, if the automation was triggered.

I hope this helped a little bit. Otherwise just hit me up and i can take a look.

Best
Matthias
Blinno GmbH
m.tanno@blinno.ch

1 Like

@matthias_blinno
Yes, everything I did seemed set up correctly. Resetting seemed to do the trick. Thank you!

1 Like