Automatically populate Timeline based off of start date of project

Looking for an automation capability to put in a start date for a project and have the rest of the project’s timeline fill out automatically. For example, when we onboard new customers it is a 5 week process. Having a template where I put in a start date and different tasks’ Timelines automatically populate for Week 1 (due 7 days from start date), Week 2 (due 14 days from start date), Week 3 (due 21 days from start date), Week 4 (due 28 days from start date), or Week 5 (due 35 days from start date). So if we got a new customer starting on 5/16/22, I would put that in as the start date and we would want the Monday.com template to fill out “Week 1” as 5/16/22 – 5/20/22, “Week 2” as 5/23/22 – 5/27/22, etc. for the Timeline.

This is a great idea - Monday please implement this!

1 Like

Yes, our organization would also use this feature. Please implement!

Hello!
I´m just joining to this community. I´m testing Monday for the organization I work with. I´m very beginner on this! so, anybody could explain to me what is the purpose of the DATE column in the Workspace? I´ve tried to link it with the Duration so that would give me the Timeline. However, it seems not to be the case. So, please your advises on what is the best way to use the Date column. Many thanks!

Hi @anamariaelsal - Duration columns are meant to work with Timeline columns rather than Date columns. Think of using the Date column for singular points in time (like Due Date, Completion Date, Archive Date, etc). If you are wanting to use Timeline and Date columns in conjunction with each other (ie. Change Timeline to reflect in date column and vice-versa) there is an app that can help with that.

If you’d like more information on the Date & Timeline columns checkout the links below:

The Date Column – Support (monday.com)

The Timeline Column – Support (monday.com)

Thanks!
Mark

Hi @headsup7up - I just saw this answering another questions. What we have done in the past is within the template have the dependencies setup with a set of “filler” dates that are setup with the gaps like you mention above.

Then when the template is used you can adjust the top date and all the other dates will adjust based on the start date.

Hope this helps!
Mark

2 Likes

Many many thanks for the clarification and for the links @mark.anley

Best

Ana María

1 Like

Hello Mark! @mark.anley
Thanks much for the call the other day. We continue testing and we could get a template (the Enterprise one) from Project Monday. That one seems to meet almost all the needs we shared with you during the call. However we would like to know whether the features (or columns) that the template has can be added in a custom template that we could create but from Work management. Is that possible? or it is just available from project monday?

Thanks in advance for your guidance!

Ana María

My pleasure @anamariaelsal - I will reach out to you via email as I have some materials that will help you with this.

Thanks!
Mark

1 Like

Hi @mark.anley, How do you set up the dependencies with a set of “filler” dates that are setup with the gaps? Thanks in advance!

Hi @Annelotte - Basically within your template set up your project with a fictitious start date (say January 1). Then build out your project plan setting the dates with the applicable number of days as you normally would and set the dependencies.

Then when you start your new project, change the start date to the actual for the project and all the associated tasks will have their dates changes based on the dependencies.

Hope this helps!
Mark

1 Like

This would be incredibly useful to our team. We use the same process and roughly the same timeframes for projects regularly. Would love to be able to set durations in a template board. Then set a start date upon creation and have it auto-populate.