Better control and automation of Timeline column start\end dates

Hi All. For basic project management workflows as well as to fully utilize the new workload view\app, the timeline column really needs some love. There is significant lack of options to set the start and end dates other than manually picking them and few automatons that work with the start\end dates.

As an example, I have been working with support on this and I was just informed this simple workflow is not possible. I need to be able to set a project’s start date but then have the end date continue indefinitely on a timeline until it is “closed out” (such as with a checkbox or moving to a “closed out” group). So in essence the end date needs to be set to the function today() to show the project is “still on the books” and the corresponding people are still busy with it.

Hi @deceiver08, Devin

The scenario “extend a timeline every day (or whatever period you specify) until status reaches xxx” should be possible with Integromat. Send me a PM if you want to discuss in more detail.

I agree this could be really helpful. As a user, I want to be able to use automations on the timeline column, but this isn’t currently supported. This has become more important with the sub-tasks feature. We are using the task level with a timeline, and the sub-tasks have due dates. If the sub-task due dates could be linked to the task timeline, this would be awesome.

2 Likes

Yeah, it would be useful.
Also, I wan’t to track how long my tasks takes until it reaches Done, and also see in a timeline. I’ve reached this with the Time Tracking tool, but it can’t be shown on timeline. The timeline column would be perfect, but I can’t set Start Date neither End Date with those automations.

1 Like

I’m looking for similar functionality where we want have a creation date column and a confirmed return date column (based on a form submission). We want to have an automation where the creation date gets set as the start date in a timeline column, and the confirmed return date gets set as the end date in a timeline colum. We need the timeline column to better populate the Workload widget on a dashboard so we can account for “working time”, rather than just showing a project or item in the week that it gets completed in. Right now, I’m having to populate the timeline column manually based on these two dates as items are assigned to my team members. Definitely not ideal.

2 Likes

hi @ClaireM-HD

Your requirement is the exact use case for this app in the marketplace https://monday.com/marketplace/18

1 Like

I was just about to recommend that, @basdebruin :smiley:

1 Like

@basdebruin

Thanks for the suggestion. We’re trying to avoid alternative apps that then have additional costs to them outside of what we’ve already paid out for Monday.com, and it looks like that app only has a 10 free trial.

6 Likes

Can’t agree more @ClaireM-HD. Shouldn’t have to buy more apps\plugins for baseline project management software functionality, which Monday.com is supposed to be in essence.

5 Likes

@ClaireM-HD @deceiver08 I agree!

The “add X business days to creation date” only works for setting the COLUMN-wise date, whereas the tasks and timeline column type have no automation for ROW-wise date calculation. So to use the stock automation for 10 dates (from creation) with owner and status, you need to create 3*10 = 30 COLUMNS!!!

IMO the easiest way to implement this feature would be allowing us to write Timeline#Start and Timeline#End values from the formula. The WORKDAY({Creation Date}, 4) function already adds the business days functionality.

Additionally, once a date is created, there is no option to link the “formula” column which is formatted as a date to the “status” column.

1 Like

Yes, I was just created a board with groups being the project and all the sub-tasks that fall within that project to be able to complete the project as a whole. As I’m testing it out I’ve realized that the due dates on the sub-tasks are not showing up anywhere for the assignee, which is a big problem. I was really excited to use Monday and transition our projects over from JIRA, but was really let down by this roadblock. Seems like this should have been in the original release, but wasn’t well thought out for user experience. It is too cumbersome to list every task as out as a main item when you have various items that fall within the same group. The customization for each item is a great feature for teams who have different processes and objectives. Being able to automate due dates within a sub-task is also key to make sure people are staying on track. Really want to be able to use Monday, but we may have to stick with Jira until Subtasks are more useful. Please resolve this soon, I had really high hopes!

Also a way to filter the view of subtasks by person would be great. As of right now every person has to see every sub-task item, even if it’s not assigned to them. My Week doesn’t show sub-tasks that are assigned to them or due dates.

My Week should show assigned Sub-tasks. Maybe the date column for the sub-items is not set to deadline mode? To check, click the arrow next to the date column and click “Set as deadline”

@TheOtherPM Thank you so much!!! I had the deadline but I guess I had set it up wrong. I re-did it and it seems like it’s working now. :raised_hands:

1 Like

It would be nice to know if Timeline column improvements are on the product roadmap for Monday. It has been surprising to me to discover that there is no way to use the start and end dates of a timeline column in useful ways without paying for an outside app. It is also surprising that there isn’t the option to filter boards by custom date ranges when using timeline columns or date columns. Those are definite product deficits that are basic features of other similar platforms.

2 Likes

hi, @basdebruin,

Does this app need to be configured for each new workspace? Or can it be installed once, Enterprise-wide? for MSA reasons we are sectioning off each client into their own workspace… so we intend on having about 50 workspaces.

hi @rcalkins

The app needs to be added to your account (by a account admin) only once.

As with all other automations the integration can be added to a board by a board owner, that needs to be done for all boards where you want to keep dates and timeline in sync.

I’ve created a Date & Timeline Mutations app that handle a lot of the mutations to a timeline column one would want based on what I see in this thread. It is in the final stages of app approval to be on the monday market place. You can check it out here: Date & Timeline Mutations - simplifiedworkflows.com

Please make this happen! It’s quite frustrating that it can only be accomplished with an app extension that requires additional capital.