Can a formula column write to a Timeline column's Start/End dates?

I’d like to auto populate Timeline column end dates based on a time constant column. Example; I have 160 hours estimated for a project starting on 9/1. What is my estimated end date if I spend 8 hours per weekday on the project.

Hey @tysons,

This is something that you can set up in your formula column, however I am afraid it isn’t currently possible to auto-populate the timeline column based on the formula column natively at this time. That said, we do have an app available via our apps marketplace called
General Caster, which allows you to cast results from a formula column, into a seperate column. You might like to test this out?

Hi, Any chance to have the formula on this discussion. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Sarupa,

You can easily do it with the Advanced Formula Booster app.

Here is the demo:

timeline

You accomplish this by creating the following formula:

2024-04-29_08-34-41

The Advanced Formula Booster uses its own syntax editor which can accomodate up to 100 lines (= 100 instructions). In this case:

• Lines 1 and 2 stop the formula if no Start Date or Time are provided.
  • Line 3 calculates the number of days for the project and stores it in [NbOfDays]
  • Line 4 calculates the last day of the project, by adding the number of days we just calculated (-1) to the Start date and stores it in [EndDate].

IMPORTANT
ADDWORKINGDAYS adds only working days. Working Days are based on your work week and your company holidays that can be set in the Days Off settings of the app. So if May 1 and May 8 are holidays, it will skip these days (I didn’t see it that way for the demo).

• Line 5 casts the result to the Timeline column.

For this to work, you simply add 2 automations to the Automation Center, so that the formula is run when the Start Date or Time column change.