Click and drag multiple items within the same group

Please can you add the ability to batch select multiple items and then drag them to a different position within the same group? Or is this possible already and I’m not doing it right? At the moment, I have to move items within groups one by one.

Hi @KevinOBrien there is a way to move multiple selected items, although I agree with you the drag and drop is not intuitive, e.g. it should move all but only moves 1.

but the way to move multiple items between groups is clicking the ‘Move to’ in the little ribbon that appears at bottom of screen. and then click ‘move to group’ and select the group you’d like to move those items to.

Many thanks, Tim. I’m talking about moving multiple items within a group, though. Say you’ve got a group with 20 items in it, and you add 5 more (either at the top or the bottom) and you want to move them to the middle of the same group in one go. I don’t think there’s a way of doing that?

Yes, I found that odd too. Click to select multiple items but only the individual item your mouse is hovering over will move - not all the ticked items as I would expect. Very unconventional.

I see, I guess I read your post too hastily. Ya, sort is the only other good way it seems for rearranging items within groups.

It’s crazy to me that this isn’t already a thing. Would make organizing (ordering) items a lot easier…

3 Likes

Pls add this feature. This should be a basic ability on this tool.

4 Likes

Please add the ability to move multiple items within a group so you can select 5 items at the bottom of a group and move them all to the top together. It is a basic functionality. The sort feature is not helpful for this situation.

1 Like

This is a high priority feature and needs to be implemented ASAP. I would put this feature in the category of “table stakes”.

2 Likes

I am amazed this is not part of the feature set. However, looking at how bad the overall implementation of features is - not surprised. Monday is a laughing stock.

If monday.com wants to be a serious tool for software development projects, then basic backlog grooming tasks need to be enabled. I need to be able to select multiple items and move them up or down in my backlog (aka group). This should have been part of the MVP of Monday.com.

Disappointed yet again. JIRA has my vote for SW development projects.

Can we please get an answer from the dev team, is there a plan to make this possible?
It would be really helpful to have the ability to move multiple objects within a group.

2 Likes

Currently I am only able to select multiple items and use the “Move To” feature to bulk move them to another group. Or I am able to drag and drop single items at a time wherever I need. I would like the ability to select multiple items and be able to drag and drop them within the same group to quickly reorder items.

To clarify, I am aware of the sort feature, and it is not sufficient in this case. There are too many times when custom sorting is needed that doesn’t follow any particular sort schema, and currently the only way to achieve this is by dragging and dropping items one by one. Not very practical when you’re dealing with any more than 5 items.

2 Likes

Until Monday.com responds to the needs of it’s customers by providing this BASIC functionality (please Monday!), here’s a workaround that I started using:

Let’s say that you have a group called “Group 1” containing 30 items, and you want to move 5 items from “rows” 20-24 to rows 5-9. Rather than dragging/dropping one item at a time, add a new group named “Temp” (or whatever). Then group select items on rows 5-30 of Group 1 and select “move to” then “move to group” and pick your new group “Temp.” Next, go to your Temp group and group select the 5 items you wanted to move up in Group 1, and follow the procedure above to move them to Group 1. They will, of course, come in at the bottom of Group 1, putting them in the positions you wanted them. Finally, group select all of the remaining items in your Temp group and move them to Group 1. They’ll come in a the bottom, below the 5 items you wanted to move up to begin with.

This is kind of like one of those puzzles with an image on a grid of tiles that you slide around, with one tile missing, where you shift them around until you put the image together. I’ve been keeping Temp 1 and Temp 2 groups in a big board that I’m building now, and this has proven helpful for rearranging items the way that I want. I hope this helps you!

2 Likes

thanks michael for the workaround. it’s pretty bad that this still doesn’t exist. every few months i get my hopes up and give it a try and it still doesn’t work…

This is a must-have functionality, is so disgusting we can’t move 2 or 3 tasks between end and top of a given list… :roll_eyes: :dotted_line_face:

Agree the multiple select and drag within a group would be nice.

I’m surprised this hasn’t been resolved after 2.5 years of requests coming in.

1 Like

Been using Monday for 1 month and got this issue all the time. And I’m very surprised now that the issue has been raised more than 2 years ago and never been dealt with. And not only this feature but also other features like keeping email related automation when duplicating board. Wonder what is the dev team of Monday.com doing?

We really need it to be implemented and I can see that it was suggested years ago. What is the status of this feature request?