Create a group of boards for dashboards

I have several widgets on my dashboards. Each one requires me to go in and select boards one-by-one. If I add a new board, I have to manually add it to all the widgets.

Is there a way to create a group of boards that can be referenced, similar to the teams feature for grouping people?

It would work like this:

1. Create a group of boards called “boardgroup”
  2. In the dashboard widgets, choose “boardgroup” rather than selecting each board. This will aggregate content from all the boards into one.
  3. When a new board is created, I will add it to “boardgroup”. All dashboards will update automatically. Automation is great!

My specific case is summing the estimated hours it will take for a person across all boards that I care to monitor. The tricky part will be allowing me to select the specific column for each board. Mine are all based on the same template with the same column names but to be more robust, it probably should be select-able in the “boardgroup”.

1 Like

Hey there,

Ben here from the monday.com team. This isn’t possible, but I absolutely love it as a feature request. It shouldn’t be to do! I would imagine it as being able to add folders also not just single boards. What do you think? I will definitely be passing this on!

Please keep these suggestions coming, they really help us understand our users, and build our future roadmap!

Best,
Ben

5 Likes

Thanks Ben! I discovered the folder feature for grouping boards after my original post, but certainly that is a good idea to include as an option. Any way to avoid manually selecting each board for each widget on a dashboard is good with me.

2 Likes

I agree. This would be awesome. We have a LOT of projects and adding and removing them from folders would be way easier than adjusting the dashboards each time.

4 Likes

Agree with this post, it would be very slick to be able to add a folder to a dashboard. Which would then keep all the boards in the dashboard.

Right now we automatically create project boards when one of our items on the ‘Project’ board gets to a certain stage. And we have to remember to include that project board in the dashboard

4 Likes

Is there any update on this request? It would be amazing to be able to pull new boards into widgets automatically based on folder. We’re trying to set up a reporting structure for projects and this would be key to removing a manual process step.

4 Likes

I’m upvoting this too. @everlawyer – I am ALSO a lawyer using monday (I kind of hate all the PM softwares)-- would love to collab with you on ways to better our boards/ usage!

1 Like

Upvote. The bigger our footprint gets the more unmanageable Monday is becoming with more and more manual processes required, and less automation possible.

It has been two and a half years and this still isn’t implemented. On the contrary, I see this flawed logic carry over into newer features like the mirror column. As project managers, we don’t want to manually tick items or boards when rolling up tasks or automation. That defeats the purpose. It is very easy to miss one, especially when a new item or board is created, which makes the dashboard incorrect. Please write code that allows us to select a grouping for the aggregation/summary views (dashboards, mirror, charts, boards, etc.). Here are some suggestions for aggregation options that may be applicable to different types of roll-up views:

• Board
  • Group of items
  • Column contains ____ (allow regular expression)
  • Column
  • Person
  • Team
  • Folder
  • Group of boards
2 Likes