Custom recurring integratino (automation) does not work

Hi Everybody,

I face with an issue and I do not know what to do. I developed a custom integration and it seems it does not work. I made a custom automation which able to track some time to an issue on each day (or another period). I set it to 9.00 CEST to fire but it did not do that. I attached some screenshots about it.

trigger_1

What did I miss?

Thank you,
Alex

1 Like

Hi @Domestosi, Alex,

Not sure, but from your second screenshot (where it shows the RUN URL) it looks like you are using one of the examples from an earlier webcast. What does your background app (the one mentioned in the RUN URL) do and how do you run this background app?

Hi @basdebruin,

Maybe your are right. I do not know the steps what to do in order to realize our business needs properly. I have no app in the background currently. I just want to have an automation as you can see on the first image that Monday.com starts.

Is that possible without application? If not, what kind of application do I need?

Hi @Domestosi, Alex

I was afraid so :slight_smile:. What you have build in monday developer environment is the front end of the solution (where user can create recipe etc) but this front-end does not do anything else then triggering the backend app (called by RUN URL). The back-end needs to do the actual work by making call to the monday API (or other API’s in case you integrate with other packages). You also need to do some token management / authorization in the backend.

In your case (as I understand) you want to trigger something on a given time period. I am building likewise automations (not available in standard monday.com) and sell them in our webshop for a very modest price. If you can tell me what you expect to happen on that given time period I am happy to investigate if this is a solution which we want to build and put in our webshop.

2 Likes

Hi! @basdebruin,

Thanks for your answer! :slight_smile: am going to check the possibilities on this. I will come back to you, if I cannot resolve it.

Best,
Alex

Hi @basdebruin, I’m running into a similar issue where my custom integration recipe is not triggering based on the “Every time period” logic. I have it set to “Daily @ 7am” and it is not triggering. Is there anything you have to do in the back-end to ensure this batch-job schedule triggers as expected?

hi @mrautomation if your app and your app backend are all setup correctly this should work. Some questions to try to help out:

• what is your trigger (I guess recurring)
  • what is your action
  • do you have a backend running?

I my case I use the recurring trigger with a custom action. The action endpoint is called when the recurring event fires (in my case daily).

@basdebruin, answers to your questions:

• Trigger is recurring, correct.
  • Action is a custom block that calls a RUN_URL.
  • Yes, backend runs on heroku.

Just seems like the recurring doesn’t trigger.

hi @mrautomation

That is really weird. My app has 3 endpoints:

• subscribe, where I put some config data from the action part of the recipe sentence in a database
  • unsubscribe, which deletes the config record
  • action, which is called by the trigger and does do the magic.

Just for testing: can you create a second recipe with an trigger like when status change and the same action as your current one. I did the same just to be 100% sure the action works fine before moving over to the recurring trigger.

Hi @basdebruin,

I am not doing the subscribe/unsubscribe steps. Is this critical for the process? My understanding was that the subscribe/unsubscribe steps were only necessary for “custom” triggers. The recurring trigger is built-in, and therefore, doesn’t require those steps. Is this the correct thinking?

I did create a second recipe, where the trigger was “when an item has a new update” and it works just fine.

Hi @mrautomation

No, you are right :slight_smile: The reason I have the (un)subscribe endpoints is that I also use other recipes in the same app. I have one recipes that reads “{Every time period, schedulerConfig} reorder the items in groups specified in the “Date Controlled Group” recipes”

The other recipes use a custom trigger (hence the (un)subscribe endpoints) to define the actions that will run when the scheduled trigger fires.

Is the temporary second recipe you created calling the same endpoint as your recurring trigger is calling? In that case you can rule out that there is an issue with the action part. This is how it looks in my config:

The action is called every time period defined in the recurring trigger.

1 Like

Hi @basdebruin, yes they are calling the same RUN_URL. It is very odd.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.