I am struggling with my project board and dependencies. A few of my tasks are dependent on multiple tasks (I’ve selected more than two tasks in the ‘dependent on’ column for a few of my tasks). FYI – The automation I’ve added on my dependency column with timeline are both ensure and adjust.
What I hope to achieve -
- The site doesn’t offer a column with just number of days. The closest substitute to that is timeline column.
- By the use of dependency and timeline together I want that whenever I alter the project start date (either to future or past). All the dates within the timeline column for all the tasks should change, honoring the dependencies.
- When a task is dependent on two or more task, I want my dependent task to start after all the ‘dependent on’ tasks are finished. (For example if X is dependent on both A and B, A finishes on 5th April and B on 7th April then X should start on 8th April). The timeline associated with x should automatically update as soon as I update the timeline for either A or B. Given, it is not mandatory for A to finish before B all the time.
Problems I am facing –
- Although my dependencies are tightly knit and there are no gaps, still whenever I change the project start date, the number of days required to finish the project, change. Which should not happen. The only things that should be effected are the finish and start dates of various tasks and project end date.
- I noticed that if I add a dependency after putting in the timeline, Monday.com totally ignores that and does nothing to honor the automation.
- When a task is dependent on more than two tasks. The platform randomly picks a task to adjust the timeline of the dependent task.
- I’ve added both, ‘ensure and adjust’ recipes to my timeline and dependent on column because I want a task which is dependent on another task, to start right after the previous task has finishes, without any lag.
I request your assistance with the above queries. I previously contacted Monday.com about a few problems I was facing but it was hard to sort out all of it. With a lot of trail and errors and time being wasted I’m still stuck on the same project.