Different columns in different groups within one board

We want to have one project under one board and we have multiple groups working within the same project. We want to have a new group with different columns which pertain to another area working on the same project.

Hi @dawnvisinta - It’s a core feature of how monday․com is designed that all items on a single board all share the same column structure. Subitems can have their own structure that is different, but all subitems on the same board will have the same columns. You can’t change this by Group. Wanted to let you know you aren’t missing any secret or tip! That’s just how it works.

~ Deb Cinkus, PMP
Certified monday․com Partner
CEO & Principal Consultant, Polished Geek

Book a Consultation with a monday․com expert: Book a call with Polished Geek: Do more with monday․com

:houses: Want to chat live with other monday․com fans & users?
Join our unofficial community chat on Discord: The Monday Neighborhood

2 Likes

We would love this feature. The Tables feature in MS Excel allows this ie, you can add multiple tables to the one sheet and thus different columns per table. It’s a major inhibitor of what we would like to do with monday.com that the columns must be the same across all groups.

7 Likes

I’ve been asking for this feature as well. Alas, it makes too much sense for it to be implemented.

4 Likes

Yes, except you can’t import an excel to sub items, only to regular items. Either let us import excel to subitems or let us change the columns for a group so we can import that excel to the group with different coloumns.

2 Likes

Please add this feature, along with importing subitems from excel. I don’t want to create a 1000 boards just because Monday.com thinks all columns in each group should be the same! You are not the users.

3 Likes

Yes, please add this feature!! :slight_smile: It interrupts the workflow to have to move a task list from one board to it’s own only so that I can customize it’s columns.

1 Like

Has this feature been implemented?

Such a pain having to have the same columns in subitems → running one campaign, different tactics organised by group (ie social, landing page updates, promo emails, direct mails), require different planning process/status/tracking etc.

Please tell me this is now a feature and I simply haven’t found it yet…

1 Like

Does anyone else think that it would be the coolest thing since sliced bread to be able to make different groups have different columns?

I want to be able to track a website build for different departments without having to create 6 separate boards.

Is this a possibility monday.com???

18 Likes

Hi Lobster,

I think you are going to get a ton of love for your post … and yes! I think the idea is nice … but … when you start thinking about it, it can be super messy. I’ve been using Monday.com for about a year and a half and have come to learn and appreciate the simplicity of the structure. Although a good idea, I’d prefer to keep the Column / Row concept the way it is. Just like I like to have my separated tabs in excel, I would like to have my monday.com boards separated. Mirroring pulses is useful for combining boards and tasks.

1 Like

I did try doing the mirror feature for one of my boards to be a “High Level Overview” but having everything in one place would be much better.

Monday.com - It may be more beneficial to have a radio button or something like that to switch this feature on or off when you create a board.

Just an idea…

5 Likes

YES and NO, Yes, this is would be lovely as a solution often need more than one board. In my use case which is about bid- and tender management I need 4 board, all with different column layout and permissions, One for the planning, one for registers (risks, assumptions etc), one for documents and one for miscellaneous.
No, because it will be bit of messy to have everything in one board.
I am focusing on the ability to have my set of users (members and guest) the same for all boards, I would like to call this a “superboard” or board of boards. Folders will also do as long as I can assign users to it that will be inherited by all boards.
As this is not possible (today) I am building my own “superboard” on my Wordpress website and use the V2 API to threat 4 boards as 1 solution. There are some shortcoming in the API to do that but I am confident these will be solved very soon.

3 Likes

Does anyone else think that it would be the coolest thing since sliced bread to be able to make different groups have different columns?

Have you read Monday’s support article on this issue?

https://support.monday.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003533620-Why-do-all-the-columns-stay-the-same-across-my-groups-on-a-board-?abcb=22569

Don’t think they’ll be changing the existing feature set in Monday anytime soon unless a compelling use case is presented, supported by a majority of users.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! I have tried using the dashboards, but just haven’t been able to get exactly what I need while making it super easy for the team to navigate.

Hey @Lobster

Thanks for adding your comments :slight_smile:

I think this could be a separate thread in itself - perhaps asking the community in the FAQ section about what it is you’re looking to achieve with the dashboards would be more helpful than in this thread, which is tackling a different topic?

Had the same thought at one point, you can create a similar result by using custom views (hidden columns) and restricting who can view a specific column, however it does not create what you are trying to achieve exactly at the group level you can get close at the board level. We have multiple teams on multiple continents working within one board and each team has multiple views based on their specific needs.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Aksalano!

Would love to see an example of your board with some different views :eyes:

@Lobster,
I have also thought about having different columns for different groups, and even though it can indeed get messy, I think the user should be allowed to create his own mess. If all the users of the board can navigate easily in the mess it stops being one, I am right?

@JohnW, as a use case I can give you on an overview of a project in which different groups or departments can be involved. I’ll take an example of software development. I have a project, that will have the development part (i.e., analysis, coding, testing publishing) and also deployment, customer service, marketing etc. They all have completely different metrics to overlook, So they can’t be created in the same board.
You can create a board with all the teams within the project with links to appropriate boards, but it takes too long to surf between those and you loose the idea of the overview.
The dashboards can solve this, but still all the widgets and tables it can get messy and vague.
What can solve this, in my opinion is rather a board with different columns or sub-pulses with different columns. So that you can have columns for the pulse, and other columns for sub-pulses.

1 Like

Hi Julia,

We currently use 131 columns to take orders via the web and process between 3 offices…so a
little difficult to give you a good look by screen shot.

Users for the board are located in the US, Canada and China…soon to also include Cambodia.

We use locked columns, hidden columns and restricted view base on users function / needs.

There are 6 views not including multiple form views for a variety of orders submissions.

The board uses 16 integration’s and 35 automation’s.

Orders are submitted via the web (55 pieces of data collected in a variety of formats), we process then use the data (much of it generated using formula’s) as an export to Excel to create a variety of forms, a web submission summary, Order Acknowledgment and Factory Invoice are composed of all data generated on the board then exported.

Integration’s are used to update customers of the status for their order (via gmail) as it is being manufactured. Automation’s move orders through the board as their status changes among other things. We also use automation’s to convert one vertical status column into individual horizontal status columns which are used to mirror to other boards using linking.

We also use mirrored status columns in individual customer specific boards so customers can see
the status of their order real time as a guest user.

6 Likes

Wow :astonished:

This is seriously impressive!!

Would love for you to join the monday club and i’m also going to move this to our ‘monday.com for’ category as it’s something I think could help lots of others see the potential of the platform and just how advanced you can take it.

Here’s the form to apply for the monday club - Join the monday club

Thanks again :green_heart: