Different columns in different groups within one board

This or even if we could just hide some columns in different groups, that would be great! I have a board where just one group is different than the rest. Since we work with clients on this board, sending multiple boards doesn’t work for us. Teaching them how to use the different views is also tricky.

1 Like

Groups are groups of the same thing, they should have the same fields/columns. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to drag them between groups…
I think what you want is multi-board views, rather?

any roadmap possibilities or future capabilities of customizing each column within each group to have a different layout or column data for the ability to customize each column differently from each group for different data set types

1 Like

It would be very beneficial for the ones that use Groups as phases to make them independent, so the columns do not have to be repeated in all the groups, if it is not necessary.

1 Like

Often I need to have columns be for only some groups on a board - when telling a high level ‘story’ with the board. I find this very limiting.

1 Like

Right now, when you implement a “connect board” or “mirror” column within a board, it applies those columns to every group within that board, even if the connected board or mirrored column is not relevant to all of the groups. I would like to be able to customize/select which groups a connected board or mirrored column is applied to.

This will be especially useful for agencies that have multiple accounts. At my agency, ideally we would like to have an individual board for each account we have, with all of the projects for that specific account living on that board. For example, within each account-specific board, we have various projects/tasks, like catalog management, forecasting, creative, advertising, budget, etc. These projects/tasks are all so different from each other, so requiring the columns to be the same for all of these across the board just doesn’t work.

1 Like

Absolutely, implementing this feature would be so helpful! It can be really disruptive to our workflow to transfer a task list to a separate board just to customize its columns. As our items progress, certain columns that were used in the first group are no longer necessary and it would be nice to hide/collapse certain columns within different groups without it changing the appearance of other groups on the same board.

Count me in. For me, deals in process need to have different columns that deals won. I am helping my better half set up a small (4 person consulting firm). They will work on one off projects and retainers. The columns needs of each are different. To have tables that make sense, I will need four boards. Ugh!

Please! Please! Please! add this feature… :smiling_face_with_tear:

Hi Team,
Having different columns between the groups would be useful for some type of projects/ teams.

Thank you, Marlena

YESSSS PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MONDAY.COM DO THIS!!! I get that how the workspaces are set up right now is a “core feature”, but why not have the ability to have one workspace, multiple groups, and each group can have its own columns? It would help sooooo much with some of the projects I’m working on. It would also help with my direct manager/project sponsors, to be able to go to just ONE workspace, and see a summary (like, do a group that is “summary of deliverables”), and then have the columns for the summary show me what I need to see for that, and then do a deep dive into all my deliverables as other groups, with other columns. To be honest, this seems like a total no-brainer. You can duplicate groups and items–why not allow us to add new groups and have one of the options be, “new” items?

We’d love to have this feature! I’ve wanted to do so many time already and we only just started using Monday over the last month or so!

I made an account literally just to talk about this. It’s nothing short of asinine the myopia which has precluded this from being a feature.

I have a preconstruction board wherein I need to track everything from backend documents being transmitted to material being purchased.

So I have a status for transmission of documents, but I also need a “Purchased” status for my material.

So I’m left with an empty column adjacent to my “transmitted” status reminding me that I have yet to…purchase? It’s just not relevant.

I don’t want to have a whole separate Workspace for backend documents, submittals, and purchasing, because I’m doing all of these simultaneously and need to stay on top of them, not click back and forth between Workspaces.

How did this get shipped?

1 Like

We would like to add our support for this feature. Just because it may be difficult to implement doesn’t mean it shouldn’t be done. Not having the ability to customize individual groups creates unnecessary clutter and complexity.

Recently migrated from Smartsheet which has this feature - it’s called ‘Dynamic View’ and adjusts what the user can see and update based on their sign in email address.

This is ridiculous. My organization does a variety of project types… and we need to track different information per Client/Board. I want to have an Accounting group where we track the invoicing on that project. I want a basic template group for each project type. I want an overall project management group for the initiating items and completion items… all of which require different columns.

If we can’t customizing the columns in each group, then this is ineffectual as a project management option.

Amazingly disappointing this does not exist. It almost seems like there are a few key functions that Monday doesn’t do, which also cannot be explained by logic, but also open the door for competition to pounce.

Hi everyone,
My organization just started with Monday.com and I 100% agree with all of you that this is a pretty glaring oversight by a company that is supposedly tailored to project management. There is no logic in forcing ALL subitems or ALL groups within a board to have the same columns. The ability to have separate columns for each group or set of subitems (within each parent item) would be a tremendous help in keeping our projects organized.

I really hope this gets on their roadmap soon.