Employee time and utilisation tracking

hours available. Our employees contracted hours are typically 7.5 hours per day. I would like to track the utilisation of the time across the 7.5 hours to identify spare capacity we could schedule to help other teams.

I would also like to be able to report on this as hours helping other teams would result in some internal billing of time.

I have played around and think Monday might be a good fit, but have come across a few challenges.

1. Not sure how I can produce an indicator of time used against contracted time. Iā€™m not very good with the calculations.
  2. Not sure the best setup for recording the tasks. I was thinking in a timesheet format coding to project/task, but I then have the problem of how do I make the timesheet reusable each week/month.

In an ideal situation, I would like to achieve something similar to Harvest which tracks time well.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Steven

2 Likes

Hi Steven

Thank you for posting! Iā€™m sure monday.com can work for your needs :slight_smile: and happy to help figure out the best setup for your workflow!

You can use a formula column to deduct the actual time worked from the contracted time column values. It would be best for me to see a screenshot of your current setup or as far as you have got, so I can advise on the best formula. This article is a great starting point.

We are also about to change our chart view to allow for multiple column values on the X axis which I think would be a great way to see actual time worked vs contracted time in a more visual representation. To see the capabilities so far, check this article out.

Regarding task tracking, can you give a bit more information on what these tasks look like? Are they recurring tasks which they do every week/month or are you just worried about the layout of task lists per time period?

Have you checked the time tracking column? If not, hereā€™s the article about that.

Any more info you can provide will help us to come up with a great solution for you :slight_smile:

Hi Julia,

Thank you for reaching out to help. Iā€™ve attached a screenshot for you to see the work so far, everything is experimental and flexible for now.

The tasks will not be reoccurring but we will want to be able to view working time worked against the tasks and also a sum of the users time across a day/week/month against contracted hours to allow us to identify where we are not fully utilising a resource. typical 7.5 hours capacity vs actual work logged etc.

I hope this helps.

I think the board youā€™ve added above is how to track the tasks the team are working on within a specific period of time. It looks fine - One suggestion, have you considered changing the group names to periods of time like weeks, two weekly iterations or months? You could then just add more groups each time period and add new tasks into the group, keeping the structure the same and not needing new boards each time? You will then also have a good history on one board.

In terms of seeing the time tracked per person per period of time, you should check out the time tracking widget in the dashboards - article here.

I think you need another board which will show the number of days each team member worked within a period of time, assuming they donā€™t work every day?

How about having a board for each month? Each group can represent a person and then list all of the days they worked in that month as items, with a date column showing the date worked, and a numbers column which shows 7.5 hours per day worked?

You can then use a numbers widget per person to total the number of hours worked for the month which you can display on the dashboard against the time tracked within that month?

Let me know if you want more help visualizing this?

Thank you Julia,

Iā€™ve given this a try and I can see how this could work. I think what I need to understand now is how to express the time worked in number format. This would then hopefully let me display actual hours versus capacity and for me to show spare capacity. I guess I want to be able to perform calculations from time worked, Iā€™m just not sure how to do that.

So my boss is trying to understand capacity. Heā€™s thinking to get a dashboard of everyone, he is asking everyone to have their own board, with all the projects they are working on and time estimates. He ultimately wants to see who needs help, and focus the energy on specific projects, instead of getting drawn to comeuppances. There must be a better way for him to see who has too much. Because if everyone has separate boards, where do the project updates live? I looked at the answers here, but these are really tracking time as itā€™s used, rather than projected time.

Ultimately, I think everyone should be able to engage with a project, estimating the time they will spend. Then on my bossā€™s dashboard, he should be able to see totals by person? How do we do that?

Hey @RachelNorth

Have you checked out ā€œWorkloadā€ view and widget in the dashboard? The latter I think would work best for your manager. You can read more about it here.

Are you on the Pro or Enterprise plan? These are the plans that have access to this feature.

Cheers
Julia

Hi Julia,
This is a feature weā€™d love to utilize however weā€™re running into an issue with the number of boards you can link to a widget.
For our use case we have each project set up as itā€™s own board and PMā€™s assigned to the various tasks associated with that project.
At any given point a PM may have 30-50+ active projects.
Is there any way to increase this limit?

Hey @Will-LBI

The number of boards connecting to dashboard widgets is determined by your plan. Youā€™re on the Pro plan which means youā€™re limited to 10 boards. I am messaging you now in private about this.

Thanks
Julia

Hi Steve - did you ever figure this out? Iā€™m really desperate to get this working, its a basic concept which doesnā€™t seem to have a clear answer on Monday.com - How do i compare time taken to complete a task (time tracking col) against time contracted/estimated.
@Julia-monday.com - iā€™d love help on this as itā€™s key for us.

@Julia-monday.com - My company also has a similar need. For example, if an employee spends fifteen minutes on a task, and a different employee spends another fifteen minutes on the same task, we would like to somehow link two timesheet entries to that one task and then to be able to report that thirty minutes were spent between the two employees.

Is there something we can do to have that functionality?

You can have 2 employees track time on the same ā€œtime trackingā€ column. Depending on how your boards are set up this would be possible. We use high level boards for projects and low level boards for individual to-do lists. So the employees would need to update all time tracking in the high level board along with anyone else working on said project.

@Emirii and @Julia-monday.com

You mentioned: ā€œYou can have 2 employees track time on the same ā€œtime trackingā€ column. Depending on how your boards are set up this would be possible. We use high level boards for projects and low level boards for individual to-do lists. So the employees would need to update all time tracking in the high level board along with anyone else working on said project.ā€

basically this is how I have it setup -

Iā€™m trying to track the hours for multiple people responsible for that one line item/task. How would you suggest I do this? how can multiple people track their time for one line item? letā€™s say they are all working on it at the same time and perhaps Josh worked 15 min, Alicja worked 10 minutes, and John worked on the item for 30min but perhaps they all started at the same time.

Basically what Iā€™m hoping to do is create an automation, where when someone selects in progress, then time tracker starts. And, when the status column changes to something else, the time tracker stops.

Any other solutions for time tracking where I have multiple people would be helpful.

Thank you,
Justyna

What about multiple time tracking columns, one for each person? (I think) you can use a formula column to add up all the time tracking columns to get a total of everyoneā€™s time spent.

In my head, this would work by having a different status column + time tracking column that are linked together for each person(with automation to start and stop based on status). If this gets to be ā€œtoo muchā€ visually you can create different filtered views so each person only sees their status + time tracking column. You can achieve this by hiding certain views from certain users, and the manager would have a view that they can see ALL of their columnā€™s

@Emirii these are great points. thanks so much.

I just had an employee test something out.

basically I had the employee change the status to ā€œin progressā€ to start the time tracker. When we looked at the log for hours, my name showed up not theirs.

that said, how do I fix this?

@Julia-monday.com

1 Like

Are you the one the task is assigned to on Monday? You may need to link the time tracking column to the correct ā€œpersonā€ column for it to work right. Thatā€™s my only thought, otherwise I donā€™t know why it would do that

hmmm - iā€™m not sure if you can link the columns. :see_no_evil:

but I have two people columns - one is ā€˜informedā€™ and one ā€˜responsibleā€™

Did changing the status trigger an automation that you built? I think thatā€™s what may be happening, you are being ā€œcreditedā€ as starting the time because you built the automation rule.

@PolishedGeek thatā€™s a good, point, yes, I created an automation.

any ideas on how I can keep the automation to reduce the number of clicks and have the time tracker start. Or any suggestions on how I could better set this up?

Hi @jkaras - Whatā€™s interesting (and occasionally frustrating) about the Time Tracking column is that it only registers as changing when it turns on, or off. So, what you might be able to do is reverse your thinking:
See if you can get what you want by having your team click on the Time Tracking instead of changing status, and then automate the status changes with Custom Automations. Perhaps something like this:

When (Time Tracking column) changes AND status is (whatever applies), change status to ā€œIn Progressā€

When (Time Tracking column) changes AND status is In Progress, change status to ā€œStoppedā€

Disclaimer - I havenā€™t fully tested this, but theoretically it should work because the Time Tracking column doesnā€™t ā€œchangeā€ as it counts up. Only when it starts or stops.

1 Like