Files in Public Shareable Links

It appears files in the file column cannot be opened from a public shareable link. Am I missing something? Our team needs this feature.

6 Likes

Hi @bhuddleston, Brian

Are the “files” stored in the file column downloaded to monday.com or do they reside somewhere else. If you insert a file you have an option to upload it from your PC. In that case the file resides in monday and when opening it it should popup the default viewer (with download option).

The other option is to get the file from Google Drive or OneDrive. In that case a shareable link will be inserted and when you click on it it will open the file from your Google Drive or Onedrive. HOWEVER, what monday does not do it to change the file sharing permissions on Google or Microsoft. So, if you use that option you should make sure the original file on GDrive or OneDrive is publicly accessible.

Does that make sense?

3 Likes

Any reason why files cannot be shared publicly?

Any plans on implementing this feature?

We share emails with clients that refer to a file, and they can’t open the link. So we have to find workarounds, which is not ideal.

1 Like

Hey @Anderson, thanks for following up!

Have you already tried using the link column to share the file? You could paste the URL to any cloud-hosted couments. Let me know what you think of this idea!

If you’d like more info or are open to brainstorming other workarounds feel free to write to us at support@monday.com :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s what we have to do now. Upload the document to the cloud, make it accessible, get a link, and put it in the link column. Many extra steps :frowning:

Any plans on making the file column universally sharable (as in a permission setting)?

5 Likes

If a file is uploaded from my computer I presume it goes to Monday and counts against our data allowance. Is it then so if we choose a link from Dropbox/Google that no data is uploaded to Monday so there is (practically no) data counted to our data allowance? I can imagine even with 5GB that it could quickly be used up!
So some questions (answers which should be in your documentation concerning files):

1. What happens when the data limit is reached? What are the options and eventual extra prices?
  2. I think there should be a way to allow or disallow people from downloading the files.
  3. Eventually the option to put a time limit on how long the file(s) are viewable/downloadable so that the data quota doesn’t get filled up with files that no one needs any more.
  4. What about being able to put a link to a file stored on our company server. Our company is not very keen about “in the cloud”.
    (Which makes it a little more difficult to convince our management that I would like to implement Monday. The enterprise option is too expensive for us.)
1 Like

So obviously there is no reason why this doesnt work, like some (formula column, mirror column) inconsistant functions not working like they should. In addition the admins are not willing to answer this simple question, asked here THREE times. Instead asking “have you tried the link column”? again and again. Like a bot. Well played monday

2 Likes

I also need this. Should be an easy fix for monday.com.

2 Likes

We really need this option. Currently, files cannot be opened from the files column when we share a shareable view board.

4 Likes

I need this too…

2 Likes

I would recommend adding this as a feature request here: Submit an Idea - monday Community Forum.

@natcrocstars, files should be able to be opened by monday.com users if they are logged into their account. If that’s not the case, let me know!

I NEED THIS! Please allow files to be accessed if we allow this in our boards permissions!

Is there any word on if outside users can view and download files from a shared view? our team was hoping to eliminate team drive with a file/doc board

Hi there Monday users!

I’ve created this little tool that would give you public urls for you monday files.
Just install the app, use the integration where you map the “files column” to a “text column”, and every time you’ll add or remove a file, the text column will update will the proper urls.

Let me know if it works for you and you want it as a tool, I limited it to 100 requests per account.

1 Like

Hi, @Yoggie - This is a great idea, love it. One question though. The monday public URLs you can retrieve via Integromat and Zapier expire after about an hour. Did you find a way around that? Are these links good days or weeks later?

Hi!
Yes, but it’s a separate app. You get a different url structure for your public urls and it lasts for as long as the file is stored on monday.
It’s a custom app so if you’re interested in one of those pm me.

Thanks for the quick reply @Yoggie - Does all data and files stay inside of monday, or are you bringing the assets to an external storage space in order to create long term public links? Most of my clients will not use an app that pulls their information to external storage outside of monday.

All data is stored on Monday.com.
No file is being downloaded or uploaded in the proccess.

1 Like

Awesome, we will check it out @Yoggie!

1 Like