Having trouble. How to automate duplicating an item from one board into another

I’ve read several posts about this, and none of the answers seem to help with what I’m trying to do.

It seems like it should be so simple. I want an automation that does the following:

When an item is created, duplicate the item and THEN move the duplicate item to X board and link X columns.

The only thing I’ve managed to do is when an item is created it creates a new item in the other board board, but the name doesn’t carry over.

What I have is a board that is managing event sponsors that has EVERYTHING to do with that sponsor and all the facets of the deliverable fulfillment. And what I want is to extract only certain bits of information that pertain to just their advertising fulfillment in the event program which would be in a separate board.

I know how to mirror columns but that doesn’t automatically move and duplicate the sponsor into that board, and so I’d have to come back and do that manually all the time which I don’t want to do.

I hope someone can help because I’ve spent the last 3 hours trying to figure out how.

You should be able to get the name to carry over to the item created in the new board when using the create item in another board automation, just confirm in the recipe the column mapping to ensure name is mapped to name in the item field.

You can’t act on the duplicated item with any built in recipes (except on item creation) - and you really don’t want to duplicate an item when an item is created because it will just keep duplicating and runaway, consuming all of your automations and filling your board.

1 Like

Thank you, yes I learned that the hard way – I had to delete the automation in a hurry! :laughing:

Just getting the item to create and share the same name would be helpful but so far when I’ve set it up just that way (looked just like your example), it says ‘new item’ in the receiving board, and does not share the same name I set in the parent board. I will keep trying, and thank you for your insight.

AH! So that will happen if you click the “New Item” button. That creates the item, then selects it to rename it after its been duplicated.

Instead, on the board itself at the bottom of the group click “+ Add Item” and name the item before creation and see what it does. I know, awkward to ensure nobody clicks the 'New Item" button to create a new item.

I’ve basically trained myself to never use the button, and only use “+ Add Item” at the bottom of groups because of this idiosyncrasy.

1 Like

Oh my gosh… I don’t think I’d have ever noticed that. THANK YOU! This is exactly what I needed. Then I can just work on mirroring the appropriate columns. I’ll just tell my users not to use the button LOL. I hope this is something they can fix someday.