Create a new item and instantly duplicate and mirror it in a new board

Hi All.

When a new item is created in board#1, I’d like to duplicate this item into board#2 and AUTOMATICALLY link and mirror it to the same columns in board#1.

So subsequently as fields are filled in board #1 these will update in board #2 also

I have tried the Column Mirror function but as far as I can see, this requires a manual link to be created.

Any ideas?

3 Likes

Hi @leeH! Thanks for joining the monday.com community :slight_smile:

We do have an automation to create an item in one board when an item is created in another board and link them together automatically:

I will say this automation works best when paired with a form so that the item is created with all of the details already filled in. Whenever you manually add a new item, the item is technically created whenever you enter the name and click add or hit enter. This means that the automation would trigger with just the item name and not pull in the other details for the new item in your other board.

With that being said, I would recommend using one of the other similar automations available that would be based on a different action trigger:

All of these automations will automatically add in a link between your items using the Link to Item column. I also recorded a short video to show you how you can use this paired with a Mirror Column to automatically fill in the mirrored data as well:

Using the Mirror Column with a Link to Item Automation

Let me know what you think!

3 Likes

Hello, I’m trying to do something similar but can’t seem to figure this out. This particular automation seems like it would already be available on monday.com but I cannot find anything that relates to it. When trying to create my own automation, it doesn’t seem to be working there as I want either so scrapped the task altogether.

Simply put, when I create a new item in board #1 under a specific group (again, when an item is created under one SPECIFIC group within a board that may have many different groups set up), I want that item name/description duplicated in another board under a different group.

The only thing I’ve found I can do is close but not what I’m looking for. A new item is indeed created under another board, however it defaults to “New Item”.

Additionally, this is happening for EVERY new item created in the board which I don’t want. I only want a duplicate creation ONLY if a new item is created under a specific group.

Hope this makes sense and is something someone can assist me with.

Thank you!
~Jonna

2 Likes

Hey @Jonna,

Something exactly like what you’re looking for isn’t available on monday.com at the moment—can you elaborate on why you’re looking to have this sequence of actions? Why would it improve your workflow concretely?

I’d love to see if I can make some alternative suggestions to you! One that comes to mind is that you could have a status label per group, and use that to trigger the create item automation. That way, the item with identical details is created in the other board if you have an item in a specific group, which has a specific status label. What do you think?

Looking forward to learning more!

2 Likes

Hi
I’m looking for what I believe is the same as @Joanna described and can give you a use case.

I work as in house CRO in a large company, we work with a centralised experimentation model, or in other words, we get ideas or things we need to AB test from the whole organisation for our central team to work on them (and they follow a process with different statuses like idea, research, prioritisation, planning, etc so the items have a quite long lifetime).

All our different teams are working in particular Monday boards with their own tasks on each, and that includes AB test tasks at different stages for say devs, designer, etc, but at the end of the day all the AB tests generated from different teams should be mirrored into a board where we can have a good overview on all new ideas for AB testing and their progress too. Otherwise we’d need to go through many boards filtering out items (AB tests) and updating them as we work with them, but always scattered.

We could agree with generating them from the same form and populating particular boards, but we need them in different boards, different groups and updated two-way as we update them anywhere (the update would happen from different team members in different teams working on their own board, and again, it is an item that contains around 15 fields and it gets many updates on them all throughout the item’s lifetime).

Makes sense?

3 Likes

I have the same issue. I want to have a form add new entries into my CRM. I would like it to only duplicate from the group that the forms adds to the sales pipeline board mirroring some of the information. Currently I cant tell the automation to exclude any new items not created in the group connected to my form. So every new item creates a new deal item in my pipeline that I have to delete.

Edit: want to add the automation would read something like this.
When an item is created in this board GROUP, create an ITEM in BOARD and link them using FIELD in this board.

This would exclude any new item created outside of that defined group which is connected to my form I want to use.

4 Likes

@Bria-CSSOS @victorcabrera @TRB-monday.com was there any update on this? I am looking to do the same thing and I can’t figure out how to do it.

Hi there - we’ve tried this but it seems that the link does not update the original item? Ideally when the new item is created we should be able to update any element of the new item and the update will feedback to the original board. Basically the items are then in sync always.
Thanks so much for the amazing support! :slight_smile:
Mick

Hi there -

Following along this thread, as I’m looking for something similar for my organization.

Could a possible workaround be to create 2 separate automations?

1. When Status changes to Something, move item to Group.
  2. When Status changes to Something, Create item in Another Board and link them using A Link to Item Column

The trigger is ultimately the status change, but the group designation along with the creation in another board is still accomplished.

What I’m still in search for is a solve for the mirror columns across boards, allowing the live updates of all columns to be mirrored. We have a global team who are working on separate boards. This functionality is very important.

Thanks!

-Rick

1 Like

Hi Melissa,
What you describe is a great feature and I am trying to duplicate what you did but the options arent there. I see below in this thread that it is not a current feature but if that is the case, how did you do this?
thank you!
Larry

I am new to Monday.com and I must say something so simple it is not so simple!
I have spent almost two hours and still can’t figure this out. I want to have a master list of homes then different boards that include all those homes, but if I add one home to that master list it will added to the rest.

Maybe Monday.com is not what I thought or simply I’m way to new for this!

Hi, @noeugarcia - Are the different boards you need to add the homes to relatively stable? Or do they change a lot?

If they are pretty consistently the same boards, then adding an Automation that when an item is created in the New Home board, create an item in X board would work for you. You also could cross link them if you need to.

I provide a limited number of complimentary monday strategy sessions each week in the community. If you’d like to get on Zoom and walk through your boards together, I’d be happy to chat. You can reserve a time here: Book a call with Polished Geek: Do more with monday․com

Best,
~ Deb Cinkus

@PolishedGeek Thank you in advance for the reply :slight_smile:

This is what I am trying to do, since I’ve try searching all over and can’t figure it out.

Group #1
House 1. (then whatever columns)
House 2. (then whatever columns)

Group #2
House 1 (was added automatically from Group 1) (different columns than Group 1)
House 2 (same thing)

I am able to link/mirror any column aside of the first one. I don’t think it should be this difficult. At first I thought you could simply do a Duplicate & Update the group and this will automatically update the board if any new item is added.

Maybe I’m just confusing myself!

Hi everyone, I was trying to do something similar but not really able to do like the examples above.

1. I have a Q.A Board, where the QA Team reports all the bugs found.
  2. What we want is, everytime someone creates an Item on the Q.A Board, the items is duplicated to another Board (Project Backlog).
  3. This Items should be linked, so everytime someone change the ‘Status’ Column (ToDo, Doing, Done), both Items should always have the same Status.

I tried to create these Automations:

But I’m not able to automatically link the Status Column.

Anyone can help me with this, please?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

@arthurfukushima - I want the EXACT same set up - were you able to figure it out? Any advice?

@TRB-monday.com can you please have a look at what @arthurfukushima is describing and advise?

@monday-team any thoughts? #pleasehelp

1 Like

@monday-team i also have this question. i have been hunting for a solution for ages. trello has had this feature for a long time - is it possible to get two-way mirroring of rows soon?? thanks!

You can now mirror columns from board to board after connecting the boards!
First connect the boards using this automation (or similar automation with different item creation trigger)
Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 11.19.30 AM

Then create a mirror column to mirror the status!

Find out more information on mirroring here:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.