Create a new item and instantly duplicate and mirror it in a new board

Hi All.

When a new item is created in board#1, I’d like to duplicate this item into board#2 and AUTOMATICALLY link and mirror it to the same columns in board#1.

So subsequently as fields are filled in board #1 these will update in board #2 also

I have tried the Column Mirror function but as far as I can see, this requires a manual link to be created.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Hi @leeH! Thanks for joining the monday.com community :slight_smile:

We do have an automation to create an item in one board when an item is created in another board and link them together automatically:

I will say this automation works best when paired with a form so that the item is created with all of the details already filled in. Whenever you manually add a new item, the item is technically created whenever you enter the name and click add or hit enter. This means that the automation would trigger with just the item name and not pull in the other details for the new item in your other board.

With that being said, I would recommend using one of the other similar automations available that would be based on a different action trigger:

All of these automations will automatically add in a link between your items using the Link to Item column. I also recorded a short video to show you how you can use this paired with a Mirror Column to automatically fill in the mirrored data as well:

Using the Mirror Column with a Link to Item Automation

Let me know what you think!

1 Like

Hello, I’m trying to do something similar but can’t seem to figure this out. This particular automation seems like it would already be available on monday.com but I cannot find anything that relates to it. When trying to create my own automation, it doesn’t seem to be working there as I want either so scrapped the task altogether.

Simply put, when I create a new item in board #1 under a specific group (again, when an item is created under one SPECIFIC group within a board that may have many different groups set up), I want that item name/description duplicated in another board under a different group.

The only thing I’ve found I can do is close but not what I’m looking for. A new item is indeed created under another board, however it defaults to “New Item”.

Additionally, this is happening for EVERY new item created in the board which I don’t want. I only want a duplicate creation ONLY if a new item is created under a specific group.

Hope this makes sense and is something someone can assist me with.

Thank you!
~Jonna

Hey @Jonna,

Something exactly like what you’re looking for isn’t available on monday.com at the moment—can you elaborate on why you’re looking to have this sequence of actions? Why would it improve your workflow concretely?

I’d love to see if I can make some alternative suggestions to you! One that comes to mind is that you could have a status label per group, and use that to trigger the create item automation. That way, the item with identical details is created in the other board if you have an item in a specific group, which has a specific status label. What do you think?

Looking forward to learning more!