How to get custom field from user profile?

Hi,
I’ve added a custom field to the user profile (“Firstname”). How to get the contents of that field using a query?

query MyQuery {
users(ids: 18245638) {
email
id
name
title
}
}

Adding “firstname” to the list of fieldnames results in “Field ‘firstname’ doesn’t exist on type ‘User’”. How to get the fieldname?

Thanks,

Jaap

Hey there @Jaap-CAD2M :wave:

At this time, I’m afraid it is not possible to query custom User fields via the API. In this specific case, it seems like you could query the “name” field instead, but I definitely understand you might have wanted to query a custom field that stores information not available in other user fields.

I’ve passed this as an improvement suggestion to our product team :slight_smile: That said, I can’t confirm when or whether this would be part of our API at this time.

I hope this helps clarify!

-Alex

1 Like

Hi @AlexSavchuk ,

any updates here? This functionality would make my life a lot easier since I work on a project that is heavily based on user details/extended fields. The standard fields force me to get hacky by misusing fields that are intended to be used otherwise. Using a field this way works somehow but it is a mess for any user.

Cheers

1 Like

Hi @AlexSavchuk,
almost one week later…still interested :cold_face:

Hey Monday, it’s Sunday and nothing… we need this so much too!

@janck @maxim

I’m afraid this is still not an option that our API provides just yet, although I can clearly see how this would benefit you in your use case. At this time, I can’t share any kind of ETA, but I’ve made sure ou team is aware of your needs here :slight_smile:

Thank you for checking in, I appreciate your help in making our API more and more robust for different purposes.

-Alex

Pretty cool @AlexSavchuk ! :metal: :rainbow::sparkles:
Many thanks in advance

Hi @AlexSavchuk ,
any updates about the user profile custom fields availability via graphQL?

Cheers

Hello there!

Matias from monday here :slightly_smiling_face:

We do not have an ETA on this yet. Our team is aware of the request, but we do not know when it could be implemented.

Thank you for the feedback / request and I hope I can give you some update soon!

Cheers,
-Matias

Hi @Matias.Monday ,

thanks for the short update.
I will ask again in two months :wink:

1 Like

Any update on this @Matias.Monday ? This is something that we could use as well within our org…

Hi!

I think if I understand the issue correctly, there is a way to extract a first name from a field using the formula column. You could use the following formula in a formula column and then extract that information using your API.

REPLACE(LOWER(LEFT({column},FIND(" “,{column})-1)),1,1,UPPER(LEFT(LEFT({column},FIND(” ",{column})-1),1)))

Let me know if this helps your issue!

Hello @kallikakis!

I do not have any updates about this.

If this gets implemented, it will probably be posted on our changelog :slightly_smiling_face:

Cheers,
Matias

This would also be useful for our organization. The best workaround I’ve come up with is to maintain a “user contact info” board that has a column for their Monday user ID, and then you can add columns for whatever fields you need. Instead of pulling the user profile, you search this board for that user ID, and you get whatever info you’ve stored for that user’s item. It would be nice to just be able to use the built in profiles though.

+1 for this feature request.

We would like to store Salesforce User Ids as a custom field on Monday.com user profiles. We use Zapier to generate Salesforce Campaigns from status changes on Monday.com boards. It would be ideal to inform Salesforce which User Id should be set as the Owner of the Campaign and it makes sense for that info to live on a user profile. That’s just one example use-case.

Hello @brianjw,

Thank you for the feedback! I have added your vote for this request :grin:

Cheers,
Matias