How to include "Rate per hour" in a calculation?

I need to multiply the time taken to do a task by Rate Per Hour.

My current approach is using a formula: {Subtask Time (h)}{Owner#Count}{Rate per hour}
However this looks like it needs a column called Rate per hour which I manually fill in for every line. Also, each new contributor to the task will need to create a new task to allow different rates per hour.

Is there a way of storing the rates per hour and automatically assigning them to the task owner, so that I can automate calculating the rate per hour?

Hi Remi.

The assignment of the rates would be based on what? In other words, your rates are based on the user, the type of task, etc?

1 Like

Rates are based on the owner of the task. So if Sam costs £30/hour and Sam took 3 hours to do the task, I’d like to automatically calculate how much that task cost us to pay Sam to do.
Thanks!

If you want to do it natively, you would have to replace {Rate per hour} by something like:

IF({Person}="Bob",80,IF({Person}="John",50))

This becomes complicated if you have many users almost impossible if you have mutiple users per task!

It could be elegantly done with the Advanced Formula Booster, a 3rd-party app that revolutionizes formulas in monday.com.

In this case, I would create a board with all the user’s rates and pulls the data from that board in the formula. We did write a blog article on something similar although a bit more complicated if you care to take a look CHALLENGE #1: How to use a Risk Assessment Matrix in monday.com | mdBoosters Blog. Your use case is simpler. If you need help setting it up, please let me know. I’ll gladly jump in.

1 Like

Super useful reply, thank you so much! My team has 5 people including me, so your suggested formula is great :smiley: