Mirrored Items pulling through deleted items

Hi, I am using a CRM-style board to connect to a selection of Task boards, pulling all the Clients hours and statuses into one place.

I have just noticed that the Connected items are pulling in data from deleted items. They are not even in the recycling bin. I can’t disconnect them, and it is messing up the data on the client board.

Has anyone else experienced this bug?

1 Like

Hi @george_planit

I don’t think monday will call this a bug but a feature :slight_smile: It is indeed the exact behavior. When a mirror column is setup it show the data form the source (linked) item(s). When you delete the source item, nothing will change on the board holding that mirror column (you still see the data), even a board refresh or browser refresh won’t make the data in the mirrored column disappear.

The only way I know to get rid of it is to unlink the item(s) in the connect_board column.

thanks, I have recreated all the connections to the board in a new connect column, and once I’ve confirmed it works I’ll delete the old column with the ghost items.

Hi,

same here. Deleted item are still mirrored to my High Leve Board and mess up the data fields.
Seems like a bug that must be solved. Otherwise the whole link column makes no sense. We need correct data mirrored.

Thanks,

Michael

Same here. I was very confused when the deleted item was still mirrored including all information. This could really mess up my summary.

Please fix / change.

Can you explain this in more detail? Did it work?

Has this been already fixed?

It’s definitely a bug, not a FAQ. Monday, please fix or provide a workaround- for example, how to see if the tasks are deleted when clicking on the linked boards selector modal?

If you delete a task, and you have a high-level board elsewhere rolling up the totals for the tasks, you don’t want to reflect the deleted tasks into the high-level board. One of Monday’s main features is the ability to have roll-up high-level boards, and they utilize mirrored columns to summarize the data from a group of tasks.

For example, if you track progress, there will be no way to hit 100% on the high level board, since some deleted tasks will always be blank or have incomplete data.

I’m a project manager, and my subs always intuitively delete things if it’s convenient- for example, faster to duplicate an existing task then to input the data in a placeholder task I’ve provided.

2 Likes

I would consider this a severe bug and pretty much a show stopper for me implementing further work I had planned without custom coding.

It appears the only way I have around this is to add a Delete Item button, which sets a hidden status to “ToDelete” and fires a webhook. When that happens, have custom code that gets all of the linked to items, and go remove them before deleting the item.

I already have plans for code, when a high level item (such as project) is archived then connected items that are related to it get archived.

I’ll join you all in shouting into the wind on this one. It is crazy for this not to be considered a bug as it undermines the ability to connect content from multiple boards.

3 Likes

I would also say this is a bug. A deleted item should not be seen in a production environment.
Deleting it from Recyle Bin resolves the issue, but when building boards and testing automations (like I am doing now) I’ll keep switching to the Recyle Bin (which also has an issue of not being able to do bulk deletions).

I just discovered this bug (I refuse to call it a feature), has anyone on this thread already raised it with Monday support? Summary Boards are critical due to the lack of compensating features in the application as well as being useful full-stop. Having to re-create links from scratch or manually de-select items is not workable once you reach a certain threshold of items

This is so obviously a terrible bug. We have Accounts and linked Opportunities boards (for example). If an opportunity is deleted it is still appears linked to the Account but much worse the Total rolled up opportunity sales value for that Account is now the wrong amount. Hard to see how Monday think this is correct behaviour.

Looks like this is getting even worse. I created two brand new default boards (called them target and source) and in target I added a connect_boards column and mirror the date from “Item 1” in source.

Now when I remove “Item 1” in source, the date still shows in target mirror column. If I hit refresh the mirror value is cleared (but Item 1 is still selected in the connect_boards column). When I switch board (control-B) to source and then back to target, the date value from the deleted item appears again.

Conclusion: connect_boards and mirror columns can’t be used if you need to trust the data you are seeing in the target board. There are apps out there that solve this issue by replacing the mirror column functionality with lookup, like Match Index Column if your items in the source board holds a unique key.

Another possibility (when you want to summarize your items from the source board) is Rollup Multiple Boards.

Both apps will modify the values in the target boards when items in the source board are deleted.

Hey everyone, Orit here from monday.com team.
I’m happy to update that we’ve recently change the behavior, and from now on - whenever you delete a board/item - its connections to other boards/items will be removed.
we hope that helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Orit thank you so much for the response and for correcting this behavior.

• I had this same exact problem yesterday, though. I hope it was corrected for everyone / all accounts.

Hey @Admeirel, yes - going forward - whenever you delete a board/item - its connections to other boards/items will be removed. If you encountered an issue with that - please open a ticket to our support team.

Please note, that items that have been deleted in the past haven’t been removed yet. Soon, board owners will be able to remove deleted items - the option will be open to all accounts in the next few days. The next step (planned to the next few weeks) is to remove all deleted items by monday. We will update of course and with that we could put the delete issue behind us. :slight_smile:

It’s still happening I’m afraid