Ordering chart by Group

If I use the group as one of the axis in a chart, and I choose to sort by that axis, the sorting doesn’t work.

I don’t know what it’s using to determine the order, but it isn’t:
Group name
Group ID
Group created time
Group order in board + order of boards
Time of last change to anything about or in the group

The order is the same across multiple charts showing different values on the other axis.

It still doesn’t work if I pull in all the items from all the boards into a single board and use mirror columns to show the group.

The group that an item is in can change, so I can’t use other means to put the group name into a static text column.

Please fix this. It’s not a suggested feature, it’s something that doesn’t work. You have given me the option to sort by group so please don’t tell me nothing is wrong when I can’t sort by group.

1 Like

Hey Carla!

Our sincerest apologies for the delay in responding. I have tested this on my end and in full transparency I’ve run into a similar roadblock - I can’t seem to figure out the sort logic. That said, I’ve followed up internally and will update you once I hear back with further insight :pray:

1 Like

Bianca,

Is there an update? I need to know this as well. Seems like it might be going off of the default sequence of the groups when they were created?

Hey @JoeH - I apologise for my failed follow-up here and I appreciate you bringing this back to my attention!

It appears that this is a topic that requires further in depth investigation by our developers, as they have mentioned that the logic is not identical for all cases, thus each case should be investigated separately. As such, you’re welcome to send me a private message with some more information about your account and current chart set up/ sort so I can share this with our tech team :pray:

Is there any more info here? There is a logic to the order of bar chart I want, and I can not change it. The way it reads now is confusing to our team. Thanks!

Hey Adam!

Can you please share a screenshot of how your current bar chart reads so I can clarify any confusion here? Let me know if you’d prefer me reach out via private message :pray:

Hi @BiancaT, I thought I’d share my graphs too in case it helps. The group names are all Return times for courier runs, which is how I would like them to sorted.

Good morning!

I am also running into this issue and found this thread when searching. I was hoping to check in and see if there were any updates.

Specifically, I am trying to track months in order, but when graphed it has them all jumbled.

Has this been solved? We would really like to sort these bar charts in a manual way

2 Likes

Hi @BiancaT , is there an update on this topic? We have the same problems as mentioned above.

1 Like

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your patience everyone while I invesitgated behaviour internally.

I have recently spoken with our product managers who clarified that when the group column is chosen for the X axis and then sorted (via sort by x axis asc/desc) it sorts according to the group’s order in the board and not alphabetically according to the group’s name.

For those that are experiencing issues, can you please clarify whether this helps explain the order?

Thank you for all your cooperation :pray:

Hi @BiancaT

I’m sure that works well if the chart is a view on one board.

Mine is on a stand-alone dashboard and it’s comparing groups from 8 different boards. When there’s multiple groups from one board, they do seem to be in board position order relative to their board-mates, but they’re not necessarily next to each other on the chart - so it’s not all groups from 1 board and then all groups from the 2nd etc.

So unfortunately, it’s still rather unfit for purpose in my opinion.

1 Like

Hi @BiancaT
sadly that doesn’t solve the issue for me, as I have the problem same as Carla (post above) that I want to sort it in a dashboard that gets its data from different boards.

Looking forward to a fix on this.

Many thanks for your effort!

1 Like

Hey Carla and David,

Thanks for your response and feedback - it’s really important!

On that note, I am waiting to hear back from our team about future plans for our charts, specific to ordering. I will update you once I have information I can share/ Thanks for your continued patience :pray:

Update!

The product team have confirmed that they’re working towards resolving this problem. Whilst I can’t commit to an ETA, our public roadmap will be available in February, so please stay tuned until then for more information. Thank you :pray:

2 Likes

Thanks @BiancaT

It’s a shame it’s taken so long to even admit that it’s a problem, but I’m glad it’s being worked on!

1 Like