Restrict status change if certain columns are empty

Is there a way to restrict board users from changing a status label until certain other board columns are populated? The use case I am facing is that I’d like to prevent board users from approving invoices prior to filling in other necessary info such as Expense Code, Department etc.

Thanks!

hi @Zachk11

That is currently not possible.

1 Like

There is an ugly way of getting close to a solution. Firstly, ensure the Status label column is protected for editing by regular users (therefore ruling out manual changes). The expense code should be set-up as a column that can be edited by an automation when changed, department should ideally be a status column. You can then create an automation that updates Invoice status based on a change to the Expense Code column assuming department is filled (using an “only if…” condition) and vice-versa. This would not have any quality check e.g. selection of incorrect expense code for department X. Another way to do this is to use separate boards to progress the item through data completion steps, whereby invoice approval is only available as a column in a final board which is pre-populated with the necessary column fields (items are moved between boards once data is changed in each column). I believe there is an app in the marketplace that provides a more effective solution.

2 Likes

bumping up this request. There is a paid app, Mandatory Fields, which does this, but would like this to be included in the enterprise plan at least.

It would be great if status change + other column attributes could be integrated into the automation as well.

3 Likes

I have a workflow requirement to require certain data points (columns) in a record to be COMPLETED BEFORE the status can be changed. I.e. Converting a lead to a deal, we require that the estimate be recorded in the CRM record BEFORE it moves to the sales pipeline (there are a number of other fields as well which must be completed prior to accepting it to the sales pipeline).

It appears that the Mandatory Fields app does this. However, at $49/MONTH, that is WAY to expensive. Might pay $49/year, but for this simple of functionality, way to expensive. Besides, this feature should be INCLUDED as a basic feature. No different that required fields on a form.

1 Like

The issue here is that there is no API support to enable/disable a status column. There are workaround (see above) but they are a little ugly. I did not checkout the Mandatory Fields app, but from watching the video I see the app does restrict item moves to another group by moving the item back to the original group if the mandatory fields are not filled.

It does not really restrict the move, it validates the move to a group after it has been moved.

I do not see a elegant way to prevent the status change happening. If there is one we would already have a reasonably priced app for that :slight_smile:.

Hello,
In the 2024 roadmap (elevate 2023), there was a new feature for mandatory fields…

Do you have informations about this new feature?
Thank you

2 Likes