TLS certificate on tunnel.monday.app has expired

The TLS certificate for tunnel.monday.app has expired as of 2023-10-03T10:59:40Z. This means it’s not currently (on October 11) possible to create tunnels to localhost when developing Monday apps/integrations.

Seems like this has happened before: Monday App Quickstart Integration not working - #4 by Sampadboby

The immediate workaround is obviously to use ngrok, or some other tunneling solution. That was also suggested in the previous discussion… I contacted customer support, which directed me to post about this issue in the community forums.

Since Monday is using Let’s Encrypt certificates for tunnel.monday.app, which are only valid for 90 days at a time, may I suggest they set up auto-renewal, or establish an internal process to keep them up-to-date.

Details from debugging the connection with openssl:

$ openssl s_client -connect tunnel.monday.app:443
CONNECTED(00000005)
depth=2 C = US, O = Internet Security Research Group, CN = ISRG Root X1
verify return:1
depth=1 C = US, O = Let's Encrypt, CN = R3
depth=0 CN = *.tunnel.monday.app
verify error:num=10:certificate has expired
notAfter=Oct  3 10:59:40 2023 GMT
depth=0 CN = *.tunnel.monday.app
notAfter=Oct  3 10:59:40 2023 GMT
---
Certificate chain
 0 s:CN = *.tunnel.monday.app
   i:C = US, O = Let's Encrypt, CN = R3
   a:PKEY: id-ecPublicKey, 256 (bit); sigalg: RSA-SHA256
   v:NotBefore: Jul  5 10:59:41 2023 GMT; NotAfter: Oct  3 10:59:40 2023 GMT
 1 s:C = US, O = Let's Encrypt, CN = R3
   i:C = US, O = Internet Security Research Group, CN = ISRG Root X1
   a:PKEY: rsaEncryption, 2048 (bit); sigalg: RSA-SHA256
   v:NotBefore: Sep  4 00:00:00 2020 GMT; NotAfter: Sep 15 16:00:00 2025 GMT
 2 s:C = US, O = Internet Security Research Group, CN = ISRG Root X1
   i:O = Digital Signature Trust Co., CN = DST Root CA X3
   a:PKEY: rsaEncryption, 4096 (bit); sigalg: RSA-SHA256
   v:NotBefore: Jan 20 19:14:03 2021 GMT; NotAfter: Sep 30 18:14:03 2024 GMT

To be honest, the monday tunnel service has not been functioning properly for some time, and last i heard the recommendation was to use ngrok anyway.

1 Like

Considering it’s been almost a month, and the certificate is still expired, I’ll happily agree with you that the Monday Tunnel is indeed broken. Apparently configuring certbot is harder than it looks :person_shrugging:.

Well and I would say this is probably at the lower end of monday.com’s priorities at the moment - with geopolitics in play, I’m sure a lot of the staff has been called to duty.

I also experienced the monday tunnel to be quite unreliable. We are now using Cloudflare Tunnel, which is free to use.