Using a formula (or conditional formatting) to calculate the values in subitems

We have a resource availability tab, with an employee as each ‘parent’ item. I was hoping to add subitems to each item based on requests from project managers to make use of that employee. I have added number columns to be used as the hours / days requested per week - each column represents one week and so if I need that person for 1.5 days, I would add a subitem, fil in the relevant info and change a status column to requested, which pings the approver a note.

Either listed in the parent item, or as another sub-item row, we would add the availability of that employee for each week so that we can easily see if they have been over subscribed or requested. I could create columns in the parent item to match the number columns in the sub-item, or add a status column in the sub-item which either says ‘request’ or ‘availability’ to show which is which.

Is there a way to then calculate the net position per week (within a column) so that we can easily see when there is an over demand?

A simple way to do this would be to create the summary on the parent item, but that would rely on people remembering to put a negative sign in front of the demand required so that it calculated properly i.e. available 4 days, -1.5 days requested. This is an easy fix, but is fraught with danger.

Ideally I would have a formula column on the parent that would be configured to take any ‘demand’ subitems away from the ‘availability’ subitems.
The columns with the dates are number columns to allow for the demand in numbers.

Simple pic below:

Hi James,

If I follow you, you’d want something like the sum of all the sub-items 1/4/24 columns to appear in the parent item 1/2/24 column? Or maybe calculate the number of business days in the week of 1/4/24, multiply it by 8 then deduct the sum of all the sub-items?

This is something relatively easy with the Advanced Formula Booster.

For instance, writing the sum of one sub-item column to a parent column is done with one line of code.

With the AFB, you can update multiple columns in one formula, so not sure how many week columns you have, but you could update many if not all your columns in one single formula.

I also mentioned the business days, because you can enter your holidays in the AFB, so it is able to calculate that a particular week only has 4 business days for instance.

If you’re interested, let me know and I’ll put a quick video together.

If you want to take a look at this article, RESOLVED – Ranking Items in their Group and Board | mdBoosters Blog, you’ll see how we are able to read all the values of one column of a board, rank them and write the rank in the column next to it with… 1 line of code (we actually use 2 lines because we also do a ranking at the group level). This would be something a bit similar.