Accessibility for a blind colleague

We have a team member who is struggling to learn to use Monday.com without vision. Does anyone have a colleague who was successfully onboarded without being able to see the training videos? Or can point me in the right direction with training, because he is struggling with his screen reading software to navigate around as well?

8 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have a solution to add here, but wanted to share that I am currently having related conversation with my monday.com account manager, to support visual accessibility needs of my team member as well.

It sounds like there is work being done at monday to improve accessiblity but I don’t know the details of what or when. Would be great to hear more from the company on this as it affects so many people.

2 Likes

@jpv I’m glad you are also pursuing this. We are struggling to get full implementation across our team at this point because of this issue. Thanks for posting!

I just cannot imagine how difficult it would be to use that software without being able to see well since is so strongly based on colours and many relatively small areas of information !

Yes @JPinBe. That has been the challenge with the screen reader software, because of all the different areas where information lives on each board.

I’ve just seen that you can double or triple the row heights. That could help your partially blind colleague. You can find the option in the 3 dot menu button on the top right corner beside “sort”

Thank you @JPinBe. I had not noticed that!

Hey @pamela.carlin and @JPinBe, thanks so much for posting about this! We are working to make monday.com more accessible for everybody and still have a ways to go, so we really appreciate your feedback.

I want to leave our accessibility statement here, in case you haven’t already checked it out, because it lists our features made with accessibility in mind. monday.com Accessibility Statement

We would also love to take your feedback into account more systematically. Is there any chance you can fill out this short form?: https://forms.monday.com/forms/02454a116ae19fb72a793df433f85438

You don’t have to fill out the “link to ticket/request” section, and your feedback will go directly to our team working on accessibility issues.

Thanks again for your feedback, and if you or anybody else has more, we’d love to hear it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello Talia.

I’m only trialing Monday to see how it works. I’ve been looking at many tutorials, videos and in the community. It was there that I first responded to @pamela.carlin about the difficulties a partially blind colleague was having. I looked at the form but I really can’t add much that would be of help considering my very limited use of Monday so far.

Best regards,

John Pescod

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Hi John,

Many thanks for your response and for sharing your and your colleague’s experience—that is already enough.

We definitely will continue to work on this and if anything else comes up that you can think of, feel free to let us know.

Best,
Talia

We at StoryFile are facing a similar friction for a colleague trying to use Monday.com while visually impaired. We want to have our staff use your forms for data entry (e.g., Sales teams entering leads), as well as to be able to access project boards and dashboards for tracking leads, etc. I will share your feedback form internally for them to give direct feedback.

1 Like

It’s amazing nowadays that companies are designing their system without accessibility solution in mind. Designing websites or web base apps with accessibility in mind, helps increase market share, reduces for upcoming cost due to accessibility challenges. In addition, if companies are not aware of accessibility problems, they can get sued for not been compliant to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), Rehabilitation act of 1971 section 504, section 508, American with Disability Act (ADA) and Microsoft Accessibility Standard (MAS). Therefore, I strongly recommend to Monday.com to solve the accessibility problem with the project management system Monday.com right away. The keyboard shortcuts and the instructions how to create workspace, board, folder and subfolder … don’t go with screen readers, and that means visually impaired cannot work with Monday.com. But, thank so much for the company for promising to solve the accessibility challenges! However, it would have been much easer, if they have designed accessibility in mind from day one.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. We are more than 3 years into full monday platform usage across our organization and our colleague still can’t participate in any of those workflows because his screen reader doesn’t work with the monday platform. I was hoping to loan him as an alpha tester or in some way to the development team on this, but we haven’t had any angagement on this at all after the offer a couple of years ago.

We are starting some internal testing with 4 of our blind and low vision employees. I will report back after testing. We are one year into Monday.com implementation.

As our teams start to adopt we want to make sure that every member can use the platform.
We have found a similar product that already meets accessibility needs but we hate to switch because we already have so many projects in Monday.com

We are going to test

• Screen Reader Compatibility
  • Keyboard Navigation
  • Correctly labeled buttons, drop down boxes, and column headings
  • Accessibility of tutorials
  • Possible workarounds or solutions

I will add any new information after the testing is complete.

2 Likes

Hi Carla, any chance you have some results from your testing? My school is currently looking to see if Monday is an option for us, but we need a project management platform that works with a screen reader. We’ve also been looking at Asana and Trello but frankly all the leading project management platforms have been very disappointing in their accessibility efforts. Trello is the only one I’ve found that even has a vpat. Would you mind letting me know how your testing went, and if willing, what the alternative product was that met your accessibility needs?

1 Like

Hello!
I also am looking for screen reader compliant project management tool. I have a small team of blind colleagues - accessible PM tool has became a major issue. I’ve tried Trello, briefly looked at Asana and Wrike - so far no luck. I’d really hate to resort to Google Sheets or Excel. :frowning:
If there is a chance, please, share your findings.