Are you able to create an automation that moves an item to a group but won't if a notes field is blank.

Are you able to create an automation that moves an item to a group but won’t if a notes field is blank? We have a support workflow that moves items to a completed group, but the team isn’t always adding resolution notes. This would require something be added to resolution notes before it gets moved to completed.

Hey Scott,

In terms of notes field are you referring to the updates section or a text column?

Can I also ask if they’re manually moving the item to the group or doing so via a status column change/general column change?

I ask this as I wonder if you could set up an additional status column to help remind the team to add the resolution notes:

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 1.41.18 pm

You could then set up the following automation:

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 1.41.46 pm

Alternatively, you could set up an automation to notify the team “Have you added your resolution notes?” when the item is moved to the specific group?

Let me know what you think!

Hi @ScottGordy - what we have done in the past is have a separate column for the numerical length of a text field (we can call it Reason Length). This column should have a default value of 0.

Then utilize General Caster with a formula of LEN({Resolution Notes}) and cast the value to the Reason Length column. This will put the length of the notes entered into the column.

Then you can use conditional logic on your automation to only execute when the length is greater than 0:

Hope this helps!
Mark