Assign user who clicked button as person

I have tried searching for this answer but cannot find one.

Is it possible to set up an automation that will assign the user that has clicked a ‘button’ as the person? I can only see the option to either assign the creator or specify the user.

The pulses in this particular board are created via an email forward, so the creator option does not work, I wanted my team to acknowledge the pulse by clicking a button and then be assigned to it.

3 Likes

Hey @alexb, thanks for posting about this!

Have you tried setting up this automation? Is this the one that will specify the user, like you mentioned?

If so, what would you think of having your team acknowledge the pulse by clicking a status label with their name instead? Then they could be automatically assigned using this automation for each person:

Hi all,

I’m dealing with something similar.

I would like to assign the person that changed a status to a task when they change it.

I believe this solves the problem for the button too, since there’s an automation rule to change status when a button is clicked :wink:

For me, the solution of using names on a status will break my current workflow…

I don’t know if I should create a new thread about this. Please tell me if needed.

Best regards,

1 Like

Hi all,

What I understand is that you want to assign the user who clicked a button (or changed a status) is assigned to that item as the only person? I do have a lot of experience building apps and I do think this will be possible to do. The main flow I envision is:

• when status is changed to “acknowledge” trigger a custom app
  • the app reads the activity log from the board and find the person who change the status
  • the app set a given person column to the person found in the activity log

I need to investigate how this will work for external (guest) users?

If you are interested in such an app I can give it a go, just let me know.

1 Like

Not sure if you’ve found a solution, but you could try… “Assign Creator” as people. I believe this should work.

1 Like

Hey @basdebruin - Have you investigated yet whether Item Permissions on Enterprise accounts will cause issues for apps that depend on reading the activity stream? Once Item Permissions are turned on, only Board Owners can see the activity stream. Really curious how this might interact with apps that depend on reading the activity stream.

Hi @PolishedGeek good catch :slight_smile: and that why I did not start designing this because I am afraid it will break with item permissions.

The good news is that there is another solution. When you create an app and use custom trigger that inserts a webhook (that is what all my apps do) the webhook event will hold the userid of the user clicked / changed status. You can than post this to the action part which in its turn do the API calls to assign the person.

I just checked and you can use a button to send a webhook but it can only done from the API and not from the default recipe builder. What needs to be checked is what happens if a user with read only access to the item clicks the button. The user can’t be assigned because of lacking write access.

We also would like this feature. Just a way to assign “current user” to the assignment of a ticket. This shouldn’t be hard for monday.com to roll out.

1 Like

I created a little free app “Assign to me” which uses this recipe:

Have fun with it :slight_smile: . The install link is: monday.com: Where Teams Get Work Done

5 Likes

Is there a way to do this but using Verification Column?

How can I use this one you have created?

When you install this little freebie app you can create a button on an item and when clicked the item is assigned to you. WARNING: there is no support for this app, its just to show that you can get hold of the user who clicked a button :slight_smile: .

I need to automate this.
" When a status changes to something , assign current user as assignee "

Does anyone has any ideas what to do?

1 Like

@LooYee

The same type of functionality that Bas put together for a button can also easily be done with a status change. One way to do this yourself is to use Integromat or Zapier.

Jim - The Monday Man channel
Signup for a FREE Integromat account with this link and get a FREE hour with The Monday Man

hi @LooYee

This little free app was build to show the difference between the user that triggers an action and the user that added the integration to the board. I did a quick check but for this app it is not possible to do it with a status change. The reason is that the default button trigger sends the userId of the user that triggered the action in the output fields and the default status change trigger does NOT send that userId.

The app can be build but I propose to follow @JCorrell solution here. Jim, I think you need to do this through a webhook or can you trigger an Integromat flow by listening directly to a status change (some time ago when I used Integromat). If you can trigger directly (without the webhook) does Integromat has access to the userId that triggered the action? That would be interested as monday doesn’t send it to their own actions.

@basdebruin

You are, of course, correct about using the webhook. Otherwise, it would be necessary to read the board’s activity log to get the updating user. My response to @LooYee was only meant to address the question from a user perspective. I didn’t mean to confuse the issue of what you had done from a technical perspective. Sorry about that.

No worries @JCorrell, I was jsut wondering if this could be done without webhooks. The default trigger buttons sends the userId in the outputFileds, but the status trigger does not.

@basdebruin

Yes, it doesn’t really make sense to me that the user is not always included. As I mentioned, it would probably be available in the board’s activity log. But, I haven’t tested it. It is conceivable that the log is updated after the trigger is activated. Might be worth a look.

Hey @basdebruin @JCorrell

Thanks for your replies, that means a lot.
I’ve been trying to automate it with integromat, but I can’t find a solution yet.
How can I watch the board’s activity log?

@LooYee

As Bas and I were implying in our discussion, the best way to do this with Intgromat is to use a webhook. You can then have it called using this integration:

On the Integromat side, you would have the webhook module and the “Update Column Values of a Specific Item” monday module. That’s it.

This is what I did:

1. Connect a webhook on Monday:

2. Create the webhook module and the “Update Column Values of a Specific Item” on Integromat

3. Configure “Update Column Values of a Specific Item”

How can I configure “Update Column Values of a Specific Item” on integromat to get it change the Assignee to Current User when the Status is triggered?