Automating Connections between two boards

Hi,

I am looking for help with automating a seemingly specific connection between two boards that my company works in on a daily basis.

• Board 1 is a board that has all of our clients information and history of working with them.
  • Board 2 is a board that tracks the various projects we do for our clients throughout the year as we often do multiple different projects at the same time for clients.

I have already created a connection between the two boards. On board 2, there is a column that we input the client the project is for. This connection just pulls a list of the clients names from Board 1 and populates the client name in the column on board 2. Then in Board 1 There is a Column I set up to connect all of the projects back to the Client the project was for. I set it up this way so that in Board 1 we are able to easily go to a specific client and in the client page am able to see every project we have done with that client without jumping back and forth between boards or filtering Board 2 different ways all of the time.

The automation I am thinking of may not be possible as I have tried a few different concepts and have yet to get it working but it would hopefully run as follows:

1. I create new project in Board 2.
  2. I designate the client that the project is for.
  3. An automation reads what client has been designated.
  4. In Board 1 the automation adds that project to the client page of the client designated in step 2.

Any input/help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. I have attached pictures below of how the boards columns are set up currently.

Board 1:

Board 2:
Board 2

Hey @ELong,

We’ve developed an app called Connected Boards Automations. Which allows to run robust automations on connected boards column, here’s how it can be used in this case →

Automatically connect items based on one or multiple criteria →

Also worth adding that it also supports -

1. Automatically removing connecting.

2. Syncing values between connected items.

3. Cross-board automations (trigger in the connected board and action in the current board)

You can find it in the monday.com app marketplace in the platform or here - Connected Boards Automations - monday.com App Marketplace

Hope that helps!

You don’t need any app or automation:

Simply when creating the Connect Board column in either Board Tick the box for „create a two way connection“.

This will create a counterpart connect Boards column on the other respective Board.
This means that if you connect a project to a client in the Projects Board, it will be automatically connected when visiting the Clients Board.

When you assign a project to a client in the Clients Board, this will automatically connect the column in the Projects Board as well

Emmett,

You want to have items on Board 2. Reference back and populate from Board 1 and then when the Board 2 item is updated from Board 1 it will then sort in Board 1 to a new group?

There is a Beta Tool call MATCH from Monday that I use a lot for a similar workflow. You can set it so when new item is created or when a column is updated in Board 2 it will automatically connect to Board 1. Then you can set up connected mirror fields in Board 2 that will show whatever column you want from Board 1. I don’t know if mirror fields can show the base item name so you might have to migrate the client names into a new column. You will need to do this for the second part anyway.

In Board 1 then set up an automation for the project column move to the group for the client.

Big things are that mirror fields can’t be used in automations on the board they are mirrored to but they can be triggered from the mirror side to activate automations on the source board.

Its a bit messy. Hope that helps…

Steve