Automation High Level Board Automatically Making The Connected Boards Connection

I have an automation…When status changes to something, create an item in a board and connect them in the selected board.

Shouldn’t this make the connection automatically in the board I have chosen?

I am having to go in and manually connect them in the chosen board… The picture below shows the item “construction: Build diversion ditch….” Is being created in the chosen board but it is not automatically connecting to the proper connect boards and has to be set manually every time.

Would you let me know if I am wrong or not understanding things accurately?

3 Likes

Hi @MDubYa - I believe this is because you are using the automation to connect the record in the selected board not in the originating board. I assume you have a connection field in the other board - thats where it is making the connection.

If you change your automation to the one below it should do what you are looking for:

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark, I tried that before came on here to make sure that wasn’t the issue and it didn’t work. It’s possible we may have a little bug or something strange, thank you for your response!

Hey @MDubYa - well that is strange indeed! Just to be clear, the automation is triggering and creating the record in the other board, it is just not connecting them? Does the account the automations are running under have proper permissions to the board?

I would be happy to do a screen share with you as well to have a look and see what is going on? I have set this up more times than I can count so something strange must be going on?

Let me know,
Mark

I have a similar issue to this. The ‘originating’ board links properly to the ‘receiving’ board, however the receiving board has to be manually connected to the originating board.

2 Likes

Thanks Mark. We have a meeting tomorrow with Monday.com and if we don’t get it resolved I’ll be reaching out!

I tried it again both ways and the connection is not happening auto-magically. The item is created in the new board, but I have to manually go to the connect board columns and tell it where to get the information.

@MDubYa Super strange! Did you meet with monday support to review? I would be happy to setup a quick meet at some point to have a look as well.

@mark.anley were we able to get this resolved? can you pls share the steps. I have a similar problem that I am trying to solve. Both boards are connected as well.

Would be great if we could setup a connect.

@tennisnut, @MDubYa, @mark.anley, @briancowell

I have found that if boards have a two-way connection it doesn’t matter which board the link is initiated in.

The critical issue, if you want the connection to automatically connect both ways everytime a connection is made, is to create the connect boards columns in both boards in one step. Specifically, the “Create a two-way connection” checkbox MUST be selected, as shown below:

If not, if the connect boards columns are created separately, they will not automatically update each other.

Jim

1 Like

Thanks Jim! Let me try that and will let you know if it worked.

Jim: I did as indicated. Connected Board-1 to Board-2 and checked the ‘Create Two-Way connection’ . But when I add record in Board-1, it does not show up on Board-2 without me selecting the item in the connect board col.

Here is what I am looking to do:
a) Have a select set of columns from Board-1 replicated in Board-2 incl the main item col so that any changes/additions in Board-1 also show up on Board-2
b) Add some resource/timelines cols to Board-2 to help manage resource assignments
c) The idea is to make Board-2 available only to Resource Managers to help manage their resources

Pls let me know what would be the best way to accomplish the above. Thanks in advance for your help!

@tennisnut,

If I am understanding correctly, I think that there might be an easier way than using Connect Boards and Mirror columns. But, either way I can help you out. I’ll DM you with details.

Jim

its fine. :confused:

1 Like

@JCorrell could you please share this with me as well. We have a board with Opportunities where I want to automatically have showing all current Projects from the Projects board. I don’t want to have to manage the board adding and taking out ones that are no longer active. The connection is the ‘Account’ (Company) name. Both boards have a link to the ‘Account’ board

1 Like