Automation works 2/3 of the time

Hi,

I have a board that I would like to automatically connect to three other boards when a new item is created in one of the other boards. This is the goal

1- When a master board status changes to Update, it creates an item in the Permits board.
2- When a new item is created in the Permits Board, it connects the Permits board to the Master Board matching the Permit Name column to the Master Name column.
3- When a new item is created in the Permits Board, it connects the Permits board to the Lease Board matching the Permit Name column to the Lease Name column.
4- When a new item is created in the Permits Board, it connects the Permits board to the City Board matching the Permit City column to the City Name column. This does not work.

The only reasons I can think of why it fails is that either the column headers are different, which I don’t think is the problem, or the automation runs before the mirrored columns have time to populate.

As a workaround, I made an update column like I did at the start, so I can trigger them all manually, but I can’t find a way to connect something without creating a new item, which I don’t want to do.

Is there a way to automate this to where I can use the data in a mirrored column to connect to an existing board without creating a new item?

Hey Bill,

Thanks for sharing and sorry you’re experiencing issues here.

By any chance, is it possible for you to share a short screen-recording of the steps you’re taking, demonstrating this behaviour in action? You can use the free, online tool loom.com to record your screen. If you’d prefer, you’re welcome to send me a private message with the recording :pray:

A recording will allow me to grab some visual context and better identify what might be triggering the issue here. Based on what you’ve mentioned, there potentially could be race condition impacting the performance of your automations here…

Thank you in advance!

Thanks for the response. I’m not able to make a screen recording due to our security settings, and the fact that nearly all of the data that will be visible is contact information for people that aren’t involved in this.

In writing it up, I’m pretty sure I see where the problem is. The automation to connect the CITY board is running before the data can mirror and populate the City column. So there’s nothing to compare it to. Is that what you meant by a “race condition.”

I can set a status column to trigger it manually once it fills everything, but I can’t find a way to only make the connection. Is there one?

Thanks,

Bill

Ofcourse that makes sense, no problem :pray:

Whilst it is a little hard to tell without having a visual, from the sounds of your set up, it does like a race condition, which is similar to what you described.

Is this all one automaton recipe or have these been broken up into seperate recipes? Regarding the status change to trigger the connection manually, you should still be able to achieve this using a match automation like the one below:

Does this make sense? Please let me know if I am understanding correctly!

It’s multiple automations. I didn’t know there was a way to add things to a recipe, but I’m intrigued.

The one you list won’t work because the column that changes to trigger the rest can’t be a mirrored column, which mine is. I’ve seen the workaround is to take the mirrored status and creates a new status from it. I’ve used this on another board, but because is makes a status, I’d need to have once status for each city. There are currently 129, and the list is growing. I don’t think I can have that many options in a status, and at that point, I don’t think it would much different than making the connection manually.

I’ve also tried using a formula column to trigger the automation, but the “column” doesn’t list it as an option.

I appreciate your help with this.

Bill

@BiancaT You mentioned this beta automation. I can’t find it in the monday labs. Am I looking in the wrong place? I would love to use this automation. Thank you for any assistance you can provide. - Irene

Will this recipe be expanded to allow you to have more then one connection per board?
In some of my boards, I have mirror columns to 2 or 3 boards. These racing automations get mixed up and more often then not both or all of the automations dont actually run.

It would be great if the automation could be set up to run one after the other, in an order that would ensure they all run consistently.

Sorry for the delayed reply Bill…

Hm, given that it’s a mirrored status column my next recommendation would have been to set up that recipe that supports mirrored status columns, as transparently we are limited in automations that support mirror columns…

That said, if you were to use the mirrored status column in that match recipe, would it not work the same if it were to set up a native status column so that we can integrate that status change recipe?

Hey @DanielleR,

This recipe is available via the automations centre! Simply type “match” and you should be able to locate the relevant recipes :pray:

Let me know if this helps :pray:

1 Like

@BiancaT Thank you - I did find the automation you were speaking of! Have a great day.

Hi,
This isn’t quite what I’m looking for. Here is a mock up of what I would like. This should in theory ensure all my boards connect and the automations do not race each other.

Hi, I’m not sure what you mean by this.

In the recipe I’m trying to use, a mirror column can’t be selected as the trigger. Setting up a manual column as the trigger would work, but at that point, it would be just as easy to manually link the columns and skip the automation.