Automating due dates on multi-task workflows

Hi guys. I am reworking my task workflows from a system based primarily on horizontal status columns as check boxes into a system whereby a new file generates an entirely new board of pre-set tasks. I am trying to figure out how to automate a pattern of due dates. For example, the first task is always due 7 days after creating the matter, while the second task is due 14 days afterward, and so on. There are a lot of tasks on each board, so I would like to be able to have those dates auto-populate on board creation, but I am having a hard time figuring out how to do this. It seems like this should be possible. Anyone know how to do this?

Hi @dschnurbusch - Welcome to the community! There are several ways to automate date creation but the method will depend highly upon how your board is built. Are you able to share a screenshot of your current setup so I can better assist?

If you would like to chat briefly about your questions with one of our certified consultants on Zoom, we offer a limited number of no-charge strategy sessions in the community each week. You can book one here: https://meet.polishedgeek.com/more-with-monday

~ Deb Cinkus, PMP
Certified monday․com Partner
CEO & Principal Consultant, Polished Geek

I’m working to try to connect them all with a dependency column, but that seems to be broken at the moment. Changes to dates that are dependent on one another do not appear to be adjusting correctly. I am wondering if that may have been due to the AWS problems yesterday or something.

Hi @dschnurbusch. It appears your dependency column is not connected to your Due Date column. This is needed in order for the dependencies to function properly. Just go into your column settings in the Dependent On column and connect to your Due Date:

Thanks Mark. That is/was set correctly. The errors I was experiencing yesterday appeared to be bugs (for example, dates would not chain–so even if one date would update on a dependent item, items that were dependent on the dependent item would not change, etc.). In any event, the issue I’m more concerned with is automatically generating date sets for the items upon board creation. It seems like I may need to involve Integromat or something, which strikes me as odd.

Hi @dschnurbusch :wave:

Welcome to the Community!

You would need to populate the dates either manually or using something like Integromat, I’m afraid
Currently the native capabilities of the platform allow you to change an existing date using the dependencies, but not populate a date field that is empty.

If your workflows tend to follow the same steps each time, I would recommend creating a board template.
You can add all of your items and fill each due date with example dates.
Then you can use this template for each new board. By using the dependency automations you can change the first task and have the other dates on the board shift accordingly.

I can definitely appreciate how this would be a useful addition to the platform for yourself, and I’m sure for other teams too, so I would highly recommend opening a thread in our Feature Request section.
Here other users who would also like this added to the platform will be able to upvote the feature!
You can find this here: Submit an Idea - monday Community Forum

Best,
Dani

Hi @dschnurbusch!

Just wanted to check in here to see if you needed any further assistance?
Let us know if we can help at all!

Best,

Dani